Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 30, 2003

November 30, 2003

           These four day weekends are a luxury. I get another at Xmas. One of the motives behind the toothpicks was to have something to do on weekends besides spend money. It will happen, but today I had nothing in the AM except to go for a storebought breakfast at Denny’s. “Always a sign saying ‘Always Open’”. I thought about going over to John’s, or to find Jayme, who he says is working near that Key Lime Pie Factory that cost $12 for two coffees and two slices. If I could have remembered the name of the place, I would have.
           I’ve mapped things out so that I rarely go to Denny’s when it is crowded. But since today is Thanksgiving weekend and I’m buying food, I thought it would be okay. I was reading some second hand paperbacks, and I did notice an older lady (close to my age anyway) sat next to me at the counter. She kept fidgeting or something, as sure way to get me to ignore you. Sure enough, I found out later she had complained to the management that, from what I gather, I had failed in my duty to explain to her what I was reading and why! All she would have had to do is politely ask. But no, they gotta go Canadian on ya.
           Capacitor theory, not the most thrilling subject. I’ve decided to build one and see how it works. My thinking is easy – Marconi did not have the option to hop over to Radio Shack and buy any pieces, therefore he must have held the working parts in his hand. If they are big enough to be handled, then I can handle them as well. Besides, if you’ve been in Radio Shack lately, I doubt they carry enough parts anymore to even build a radio. The staff certainly don’t know what a ‘rectal fire’ is. I did complain once, and the counter person said I should complain to the head office. Nonsense, lady, I complain to the person who is making the mistake, and let them complain to the boss.
           I went to see Timeline. Interesting siege warfare scenes. Great working models of trebuchets. A bit overdone in the romance department, those who’ve looked past the surface could hardly imagine the middle ages as a stretch of fairy tales and romance. The real middle ages, or their own, ha! Had to throw that in there. Its an okay video for history buffs.