Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 29, 2003

November 29, 2003

           Thanks to Broward County Fair, I had my first social evening our of town in a long time, at least six months. I went to Coconut Grove, technically the next town, right? I lamented the lost time and revenue of the Fair, which I know was in the thousands, I treated myself. Over to the Borders bookstore most of the morning. I’ve finally got my bearings by buying a compass and memorizing landmarks. Coconut Grove is not that large, but the angular way of getting there off US1 kept throwing me.
           That was the first Borders I played in with Space Hippie/Peach Pie. I combed the place for a bargain and finally bought a computer book. It turned out to be another ripoff, MS style. Typical, it claims to teach Visual Basic, but the entire 20 chapters do not contain one example of useful code, the only way to learn programming. Instead, the authors treat the code like a secret that you have to pay extra for, and keep telling you what can be done instead of how to go about it.
           One of the books on sale was a how-to on making picture frames. If it’s still there next time, I’ll buy it but my limit is one new book at a time. I always look at these picture framing places as a bit of an overpriced rip-off, but myself cannot figure out how they manage to make any money charging the prices they do. They use casement lumber, but the labor gets me. Unless they have a super cheap robot making the finished goods, it befuddles me. I can’t see putting a five dollar picture in a ten dollar frame but it must happen a lot.
           I also found a second hand store in what would be quite the unlikely side street. The Grove is totally yuppie and full of posers. You have to get there by ten in the morning to have a sitting spot by that time at night. It’s not on the water, and except for that second hand store, quite overpriced. Rhonda, from work has suggested I go there to meet women. Well, I think I would have to go there a lot for a long time. Something did happen, though. Rhonda says to get there at 9:00 PM but I don’t do that. I walked in at 7:00 PM. A few women went through, but mainly in groups, obviously meeting someone, or with the don’t bother me heads down scowl.
           Then, a cell phone clatters on the pavements. It’s a lady in a tank top dropped it right beside me. Coincidence, Captain? Perhaps. Opportunity knocking? I took a close look. Not fat, but puffy, with bra bite, too much makeup. Enough to cause me a slight hesitation. I need a modus operandi here. Sure enough, by the time I left an hour later, she was being picked up by a married couple. I’d put her around late twenties, but I’ve done all my entertaining one on one since an earlier age than that.