Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 29, 2004

January 29, 2004


[Author's note 2016-01-29: another DNL (Dragon Natural Speaking) post, so ignore any unfamiliar references. The picture is Mt. Cook, the highest in New Zealand.]

           Again, trapped by the most important thing to me. I left work early to get a checkup. No cholesterol, no high pressure, no stress, no history – nothing. Again. And these folks are really milking the Blue Cross ticket to the limit. Ultrasound, radar sound, sonar sound, echo sound, and next week for radio-nuclear sound. No less. There is even a half-decent looking Hispanic nurse, but like I can’t tell she’s married with children, who says she is looking forward to shaving my “Shoost”. She likes shaving men's "shoosts". Never saw her again.
           The doctor (D. Escalante, Room 214) gave me the analogy of the heart being a pump. To me, so are the bladder, lungs and stomach, but I said nothing. Hey, I’ve got important things going on, like my Coleman air mattress finally sprung a leak. Coleman mattresses have that flock covering on one side, making it impossible to patch the leak even if you find it. They are so smart, those Coleman’s.

           I’m reading The Female Eunuch, finally. It is much as was expected so far, that females are the downtrodden. Now, I have not finished the book yet, but so far it is on and on about how females have smaller hands and feet, smaller this and that, and therefore they are forced to play “unnatural” roles, such as monogamous motherhood. To me, she has described weak-kneed idiots, not gender. I’m not sympathetic. There is another point, about how difficult it is become independent when the system is designed by men to force dependence. Yet here again I could argue your sex does not make a difference (with men there is at least a chance to work to the top versus women at least have a chance to sleep their way to success).

           I recall someone stating back in the 70s that women wanted all the rights without any of the responsibilities. Germaine Greer is not only confirming much of that, she would like to see the system itself changed, arguing it is payback time. She also makes issue that motherhood is unpaid labor, conveniently overlooking that most volunteer work always has been. Yes, I said volunteer because there is no squad of macho men going around forcing women to have children at pistol point. Plus, I have often stated that partnerships are too risky, one should not embark on any long-term plan without making sure you could, if you had to, go the distance yourself. And I live what I say, I am fifty-ish with no children precisely because I cannot afford them. No children without the money to raise them, it should be a law, and only then will children become as precious as they are supposed to be.
           Many occasions I’ve talked to men, not couples, about the marriage experience. I mean the total, not the phases everyone goes through. Most men have a lame joke or two that sums it [marriage] up for them. The common theme seems to be the fun they missed out on, and they mean sexual fun as if being a bachelor is all that easy. The marriage itself they will say is worth it because of the children, but the rest was little short of primitive torture. I have to discount the saying because in some cases those darling children grow up to be nothing but fat stupid losers with criminal intent in everything.

           Now Greer comes along and says marriage is unnatural for women! For crying out loud, lady, who in Hell do you think invented it?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++