Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 7, 2004

January 7, 2004

           Hmm, feedback from the frozen northlands. Marion notes I am back in fine shape, and that I should have been a writer. My attitude is that I still can be and just might do it some day. The reason is that when I complain, even about ordinary things, I can be quite exact about what is really bothering me. According to the theory, it causes people to think more. They realize it was something else that was really bothering them. No examples, but I chewed the head off a dozen topics before noon. I have never liked women that bleach or color their hair. Even more when they do a bad job of it and you can see the darker roots. Besides, it does not fool anybody.
           You hear these women bitch that if they don’t wear makeup and dye their hair, they get ignored. Makes me wonder where they hang out. I haven’t seen a woman as ugly as a rhino’s rear end that some guy didn’t try to pick up. I think it more likely that they appeal to a more conservative man when they don’t wear makeup, and are just noticing that conservative men don’t slobber on them. Hence, they feel ignored. They want to telegraph the sex-bitch image, but only be approached by nice men full of self-control and respect under their devastating gaze that turns him to jelly. The process gets drawn out further when they find the conservative men also tend to want a two-way exchange and consider good looks just another piece of evidence.
           Another tip-off is the spacing of children, if any. I noticed that way back in my college days when I taught dance lessons for sort of a living. There were always more women than men in the classes, and I have yet to meet a woman who accepts responsibility for a divorce. Divorced men change. Divorced women do not. That’s why I watch for spacing. If there are three kids, say six years apart each, watch out. You will never convince me “he was a good husband for years, and then one day turned bad right out of the blue.” I can smell a rat a mile upwind, one look at these men is all I need. But anyway, figure out why the spacing is telltale. Hint: You don’t get any points from me for playing the martyr.
           I was glancing over the personal ads in Coconut Grove. You’d think the place was chock full of “self-employed, athletic, fun to be with” women making $75,000 a year. Funny, there is nobody in Coconut Grove that looks like the pictures in those ads. I still can’t help laughing at these women’s impossibly high standards, it reads more like a wish list than a serious search for a real man. I’ve only met one or two men in my life that could begin to meet such criteria. Also, I take a very dim view of women who specify a man must be tall, but not for the reason that I myself am not tall. It’s because a man who specifies physical traits in a woman is considered shallow and discriminatory. I heard one woman justify it saying she wanted her “sons to be tall”. When the man retorted he wanted his “daughters to be slim”, she threw a fit. Hypocrisy.
           I leaned into the database again, this time to find where the limitations are with the system. They are severe, and MicroSoft isn’t helping any. They just don’t seem to have a clear grasp on the workings of relational database and try to cover that lack up with all kinds of messy features. Unlike most software, you cannot get Access to do much of anything right out of the package. Worse yet, Microsoft does not seem to think it important to interface their software with industry standards. Most servers are SQL, but Access does not naturally mesh with SQL, although the engines and search language are almost SQL in the first place. SQL does not like this, and locks out everybody including the Administrator from all the main functions. Of course, SQL is nothing to write home about either. Too many quirks.