Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 8, 2004

January 8, 2004

           Finally I got through to the doctor for my follow up appointment. Next Tuesday. I wrote several people about the operation, all of whom expressed concern about medical coverage. It is absolute nonsense that medical is either expensive or unavailable in the United States. That is propaganda. True, there are tons of people without medical, but do any of those people have cable TV? If so, don’t come crying to me. Also, you hear of family rates being high, but I find them comparable. True, pre-existing conditions can cause rates to rise, but it is only right that people with genetic defects pay more in the first place. Nature is telling them something! I am for paying my rates, not “my share” of the country’s bill. Here's photos of the lump of coal Xmas gag.
           I see some 49 year old lady got caught making whoopie with some 11 year old boy in her music class. The report says she “performed sex acts” on him. She was married 19 years. Two things. Being married that long can make anyone desperate. And I’m curious to see if they do the same thing to her as a man if the sexes were reversed. There has always been different laws for different people, I think she’ll get off with counseling. Like all other people, some are ready for sex as soon as they learn about it, others are never ready. She looks like a tall blonde in the paper, now every 11 year old will want one. Ha!

           Rhonda brought me a book on dieting, first printing middle of last century. It is remarkably clear, and has the same criticisms of fad, crash and specialty diets. It predicts the rise of the yo-yo diet and has an excellent section on how to order food in a restaurant today, though back in 1950 they would have thought you were bonkers. The recipes are astounding at how little has changed, including peoples tastes. I don’t know, maybe nobody in the world has discovered a new spice in the last hundred years. We got to talking, and I pose the question – is there anyone besides me who read the entire dictionary cover to cover before they were in high school? I did, in fact that is how I pieced together the facts of life. It was an impressive feat of cross-referencing, folks. But by the time I reached puberty, I was the only one of my peers that knew exactly how not to get anyone pregnant.
           I also read the encyclopedia. Not researched topics, but actually read the topics recreationally, as if it was a very long series of chapters. There wasn’t a hell of a lot else to ready, one did not dare bring any schoolbooks home (they would get “lost” and it would be your fault for not protecting them, although if you did protect them, you got into even more trouble). It had two long-term effects. One is that you quickly learn that knowledge cannot be taken away from you. Two, you learn to grasp concepts in non-logical order, noting patterns not there in an ordinary classroom.

           The more I read about Abe Lincoln, the less I believe all that history about what a great leader he was. He was also called the “original gorilla”, and “wise as a serpent”. He apparently spent an awful lot of time minding other people’s business. He was a typical lawyer, constantly making one point out of another usually unrelated point. Example, the South’s decision to leave the union was an attempt to destroy “his” government when in reality they didn’t give much of a damn about it. As time goes by, he seems less and less of a good choice during a time desperate for heroes.
           I’m tempted to buy a CD player. Remember, I am usually the last guy to buy any technology that is read only. Artists should make the majority of their money performing live, under the strict rules of supply and demand. To me, the problem is not the artist, it’s the upset of the market by the huge distributors. Notice nothing happens until they start hurting instead of just the artist? I want a small CD player for the office, and I would like to find out what the big deal is with that Bose wave radio, like why is it still so expensive? Why is it still advertised after all these years as a breakthrough?
           Something else. I’ve noticed a comeback in mechanical Swiss watches in the $300 range.