Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 20, 2004

February 20, 2004

           This is what a state of the art home computer system looked like in 1991. See the massive color monitor and the matching tower and keyboard? This was around the time I first heard of the Internet, but it was too finicky to use and not worth the investment until several years later. The gal was one of my students, but she had no aptitude for anything, period. This setup was, in those days, quite elaborate. The Internet was still pay by the minute and I was teaching people how to do their work off-line, only dialing up to cut and paste the finished product. As usual, far ahead of my time but without the millions needed to make any idea take off these days.
           The news says the four kids who died in the house fire up the street here was murder. They had the father on TV saying he didn’t know this, and didn’t know that – but we know for certain he wasn’t there like a father is supposed to be. I’m taking a long look at ‘net business.. Most of the business was not big corporations. Those sites tend to contain company advertising, job openings and other dull shit. It’s mainly Mom & Pop operations, and if, as some sources suggest, most are scams, we will look at that as well. For if so, nobody seems to be going to jail.
           I’ll reserve judgment [on Internet business] and there is a whole technical vocabulary to learn. I knew it was there, but why bother as long as I can point and click. One thing has not changed – the net is no better at collecting money than it was before. It’s still credit cards, who take a percentage on top of their outrageous interest rates, or a sign-up service which people do not like. I was, you know, interested to learn the major objection to sign-up services was people did not like their personal info being kept on somebody else’s computer. I say, is that right?
           It’s taking forever to read the book on Johnny Carson. And even longer for me to understand how anybody could have watched his TV show. I accept that unlike himself and his audience, my live does not revolve around television. The book has some B & W photos, and I know I’ve seen his picture before, and thought what a jerk he looked like at the same time. I’m up to 1977 where he’s chasing some broad called Trokel. Pardon me, but I cannot understand some people. He is rich, but instead of just chasing skirt, he is constantly marrying and sleeping around, thus harming someone else. I know men like this, and they are equally disgusting. It is not thrilling to cheat on someone you tell “I love you.”
           Now this Trokel is even more a mystery to me. If I was rich, I can’t see picking her. The book says she has auburn hair and a dancer’s body. But the picture shows otherwise. Her hair is definitely darker at the roots, and her upper thighs bulge forward from the front like a Bantu statue. Also, her waist is not fat, but puffy, and you notice she wears clothes that draw attention away from it. Well, the attention of men who don’t know what to look for and don’t suspect she is hiding stretch marks, which none of the dancer’s I’ve known had. Also, she has that short scruffy hairdo that was butchy and dippy even in that time period of long flowing hippie locks. Her face is not pretty at all, with deep smile lines and high arched plucked eyebrows that are definitely a different color than her hair. A darker color. There is very little natural and wholesome about her.
           Laura (Shiner) had a little get together at the Doral Ale House. She is leaving the company to start a new life with the guy who finally married her. She’s spirited, with a dynamite body, what you’d call a little hottie. I hope it works as rumor goes this is not her first try. She was also quick, and I think originated the mispronounced term “Corn-yo”, a play on the mild Spanish expletive. That video, Total Eclipse, I’m watching in stages. It is pretty boring, something about a 16 year old poet who changed the world, so the world must have been far more changeable back then. The plot is too sterile to watch in one sitting, it is more like some hack’s idea of what a naughty movie should contain.
           I may have found a used deck trailer, and it is might just be ideal. A four foot by eight foot wooden bed, far easier to work with than metal. Plus it is only $275.00. I’ll look into legal requirements, and price out the related hitch, harness and insurance. Even if it just sits, it ‘pays’ for itself in four months. Oh, I can report to anyone who spotted the surge of activity today, that it is beyond a doubt the prescription is the cause of my recent slowdown. The symptoms and side effects disappear one day after I stop and reappear an hour after I begin again. Wallace e-mailed that Maggie, ten months after the operation, passed away at 10:30 their time this morning.