Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 19, 2007

January 19, 2007


           For all I said about a shop, I still won’t work one where I have to get there early in the morning. While a relatively early riser, I still don’t like a fixed schedule. That is partially because I get my other things done in that stretch. Besides, Florida is geared to screw you around if you have morning deadlines. These slow drawbridges or really, lack of regular bridges, are part of what I mean. Since the bridges themselves are slow, I am often able to hop out and take a look at what is passing below. Yesterday it was a single rust-bucket of a garbage tow that looked like a WWII reject.

          Since my photo of the drawbridge cannot be found, here is a picture of the Dania Beach water tower. Great substitution, for it is another unused relic.
          It was dead at the shop, so I used the time to fix up a couple of older computers. That work is delayed reward but still, it is something productive to do when things are not busy. Alas, I can’t do that when there are customers back and forth. Jerry, the Irishman, was in for a visit. You know how some bicycles just plain look dorky? You should see this light emerald green thing he’s got, with handlebars way up in the air like a Longhorn steer. Then he’s miffed when a “Venezuelan queer wants to hold hands.”

          The worst part of the day was this window washer. He was born and bred in Florida, guaranteed. He comes in and asks for Dickens with the old “he lets me wash his windows” to which I reply he’ll have to talk to Dickens about that. Does the goof take a hint and leave? Not a Florida goof. Into this where is he, when will he be back, what day, what time, on and on. I made him wait up to three minutes between each question while I helped other customers. He would not take buzz off. Finally, when he insists I take down his number and give it to Dickens with an explanation, I threw him out of the store. Not may he write down his number, but I write it down for him. Florida.
          Before hours, I went over to ChipTech to pick up supplies for Fred. I had to advise him not to use that outfit any more. They’ve changed their system to where the burden for everything falls on the customer. Where it used to be zip in there, pick up your pre-ordered supplies and leave, now it takes up to forty minutes of waiting or chasing around to get the simplest thing. This paper and that document and this receipt and that confirmation, all of which should be done on their own time.

          Leonard, the non-guitarist whom I had to turn away, wrote me a thank you note. He thanked me for reading his emails and exchanging my views of music. He further said that he has decided to take guitar lessons. I may follow up and give him a few pointers just for being so polite. That’s a better response than I got from JZ who did not show this evening. He was supposed to get a guitar from his brother and head over here. It will be one of the biggest mistakes he ever makes if he does not follow up on this opportunity.
          A customer today found a tie worth over $100. I was unaware they ran that much although I am not surprised that some people pay it. After paying his dollar, he showed me the tag from some upscale store in London. He was happy, but you know that just earlier this week I had gone through that same tie rack and picked two others for myself that I felt were better looking. That is, of course, proof to all my adversaries that I have no taste whatsoever.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++