Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, August 25, 2006

August 25, 2006


This will have to take care of y’day and today. I’ve been busy reading and riding. I took a closer look at Justin’s web pages and I see that he has not used any real amount of CSS, but neither did my first efforts. That means I did not do much else since Thursday. I did think over Dicken’s proposition to open his store on Sundays and I’ve decided that it is a good idea. For openers, I need the money and it is a reversible decision.

Later Friday I did get over there to photograph more of his inventory to plug on Craigslist. It certainly keeps his electronic presence ahead of all other Thrifts in the area. Then this morning I piled on the bike and went for a ten mile jaunt before breakfast. This ravaged my appetite so bad I ate a double breakfast. Two apples. What? Well, I’ve told you many times, I am not out of shape, I am overweight. Big difference. I averaged 9.2 mph and got way over to 40th Ave in Hallandale, raising the distinct chance that I could actually bike all the way to BrandStupidUSA from here. For the record, I was on the road 10.012 miles for 1:05:26.

It is actually nice to go sailing past the speed traps, and that reminds me of something. It is almost certain I’ve read wrong information about the caloric output needed to ride. The articles in question were based on riding at 5 mph. That has to be wrong because that speed is sub-therapeutic. It is slower than I naturally walk, plus bicycling requires a minimum forward speed to retain control, kind of like the rudder on a boat. You don’t have that at 5 mph; you are constantly fighting for balance.
I got silhouettes of myself cruising along. It is still early, so hang around and I’ll get you more material. I am thinking of driving to University Drive to play at the coffeehouse tonight. What else is there to do in Hollywood, FL on a Saturday night? I’m back. I just took a look at that shadow picture, that is a classic. The author on his one-speed. It almost looks comical but I assure you there is no trickery here.
Andrea, the black lady with all the African gear from her mother was in. I sold all those copies of Jet Magazine from the early 70’s at a dollar a copy. She was happy and so was I since they were beginning to take up a lot of space. I lent her a digital camera to get started. She took my advice about learning on a cheap camera but went a little overboard and got one of those “keychain” models that keeps eating batteries. We even had a couple of sales types in here flogging those the other day. I call Andrea my bike buddy because she wants to go riding. One day when she buys the parts that are missing.
I spent much of the indoor time reviewing CSS. The quest is to find code that works across all or most browsers rather than screw around with parsing formulas to detect different versions, a waste of time in my book. Several authors have noticed this before me but their writing seems incomplete. It is easier said, but if you pick only those commands that work everywhere, you may have a somewhat less creative page, but you’ll end up with only one set of code, my son. The nearest I’ve come is a set of commands that use percentages and I will follow that up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++