Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 18, 2006

December 18, 2006


           It can’t be that dark. By that, I mean that not one of my digital photos turned out today. Too bad, since I had at least one totally unique shot of doggie wigs all in a row. Those who denigrate the male “left brain” thing might consider what would have happened today without it. That brain theory amuses me because it causes poorly-educated people to dichotomize, that is, if you are left brain, you cannot be right brain. However, keep in mind that you don’t have to be dumb to think like this, it just helps.
           (For example, Cheryl, who is by no means uneducated, considers me to be left-brained, likely because I did not instantly spot her as an alpha female. That means I surely lacked any artistic side that would have been sensitive to her vibes and she said so. What is the fault in her edition of this theory? I repeat the hypothesis saying explain how I was playing music on stage when we met.)
           Ah, I did find a current picture. This one befuddles me. You see the condensation on the inside of the headlight lens? How, I ask you? It is not anywhere near that humid around here, and the droplets do not form on any of the other lights. The bulb produces heat, but would that not tend to dry the cavity? This particular lens eats $8 bulbs every few months. The bulb actually shatters, indicating cold water or condensation is hitting the hot bulb. That’s the other half of the mystery – don’t they bulb bulbs out of material that can resist temperature extremes? And why does Ford still build a bulb holder that can get wet?

           There are photographers coming in tomorrow. That means the wigs have to be ready for use. That means the tags have to come off (or the users will know how to contact the factory). Without the tags, nobody except the inventor knows which is which. I know that I don’t and I’m virtually second on the list of who knows the most about the product. I was not informed of the shoot until late today and my left brain said “Alarm”.
           I can’t prevent the problem but I can stop it from exploding at the last moment when it gets expensive. I inscribed the product number, something only four people know, on the underside of the wig foundation. Hey, it will work for now and the other two people are somewhere in Indonesia, okay.
           Fred called and I had to turn away another customer because of my work with the wigs. Not good, but I have been warning everybody that this was a likelihood if I did not take a day off for routine maintenance. That day is now tomorrow whether anybody likes it or not. How I hate to disappoint customers. Especially after calculating an error on my own books that included rent paid in commissions, meaning I owe Fred $580.00. It is duly noted that even at the worst of times, I can come up with money for my debts. There's a lesson there, Ken Sanchuck.

           JZ was on the horn, saying that the copper tube on my gas stove is self-flaring. All I have to do is hold the pipe firmly against the nipple while tightening. Wrong, it does not work. You would need some fancy arrangement to hold it any tighter than I was, so I know there is something wrong. Good case for microwave ovens being made here. He simply has to be misremembering something because following the instructions to a tee still does not work. And I know how to follow instructions, Sparky.
           Another miscalculation was that I already had the brand of the flu that JZ had y’day. Nope, I’m really coming down with something now. Sore throat just like before, so it faked me out and I was in JZs living room while he was sneezing half the day. We had to go over mechanical drawings and other plans, and since he smoked, I never thought it was other than a hack cough. I should, at my age, be resistant to most of these strains.
           I have another audio book, called “Jackdaws”. Haven’t I seen a movie by that name? It is about some cleaning ladies who sabotage a Nazi office or something. Hey, after “Theory of Relativity” I’m almost desperate enough to read Dean Koontz. I said “almost”.

           Mr. Brian has proposed the replacement for “You May Be Right”. I’m not going to reject it, since the veto power comes with a codicil he has not fulfilled yet. He must record and burn a copy, write out the lyrics and chord patterns and learn his own part in advance. I’m hoping he’ll flub that because he’s chosen a tune I truly dislike. It is slow, has no message I can identify with and is definitely guitar-player music.
           That means it is one of those tunes that is mostly liked by men who play guitar, and hardly anyone else. It is “Last Dance With Mary Jane” and how it ever became a hit baffles me. It drones on. Let’s see how he manages the two guitar parts, harmony vocals and harmonica playing. The last thing that song could be confused with is dance music. Too slow for a shuffle and the double beat too fast for a hug-dance. Here’s some inside info – these tunes are what the G teaches his guitar students. If that is where Brian learned it, it means he has spent zero hours so far learning new music. That would not be a good sign.

ADDENDUM
           Mr. Peltz was in again today and another layer of the onion has been peeled off. It seems the former bookkeeper was paying other people’s phone bills. That adds up quickly. I took a few minutes to explain to Ruth that all the charges against the cheat were criminal. The victim is not necessarily a part of such a trial. I’ve often felt that criminal law should be based on codes rather than cases. Leave civil law alone, although torts can be funny things once they get outdated. Codification would redress a lot of the internal abuses in the system and prevent speculative defenses. That is too deep to understand off the bat, but trust me I thought it through for years before reaching that conclusion.

           Later, I see I’ve touched a nerve or two with the law paragraph (above). I’ll cut it short. By “internal” abuses I mean verdicts, procedures and sentencing that are dependent on the mood or character of the authorities. The American system reeks of corruption on this point. The judge should have no personal “opinion”, only a rational legal opinion that would be compared to other similar judgments. I know that judges dislike this or any basis for comparison. I would still allow them to go against the grain – provided they give a good valid legal reason for doing so. In writing. As it is, impressing the judge is more important than facts if the judge has a hangover. Nobody should have to go to court where the outcome depends on what the judge had for breakfast. Such law becomes a joke in no time.
           Yes, civil law has the same defects, but the difficulty of establishing damages means all but the ridiculous should be allowed. I'll give an example. "Allowed" does not mean the same as "believed" but courts should be obligated to allow for different levels of involvement, no matter how tough that gets. Here's the example, lets see how you do, but remember, I am holding back one fact that the defendant will argue all day long.

           CASE: The defendant steals my pencil and argues that I stole his eraser. Both facts are true. Who should prevail?

           Give up? The missing clue is that the defendant does not write every day. Therefore, my level of involvment is much greater and I should be awarded greater damanges. Because he does not write, him stealing my pencil is a far greater crime than me stealing his eraser. Too often, a defendant will argue there is no connection or that even so, I am not entitled to greater damages. I forget the name of that defense, but you’d know it. Later, it is called a “demurrer”.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++