Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, July 16, 2006

July 16, 2006


           I drove to Coral Springs to finish up that network. It was an oddball problem, I can’t say for sure but I think there were two different configurations for the wireless card and they were conflicting. That is the highlight of the day, so I hope you enjoyed it.
           Afterward I went over to Sawgrass Mills Mall, that mouthful of a place. I get a kick out of Wannado City. It is an amusement park with a twist. Suppose your kid wants to be a fireman. They let him play fireman for the day, or however long your ticket says. Now why didn’t I think of that.
           The best bookstore in the area, Books-A-Million is in the far corner of the mall, a good half-mile walk inside the building. The gorgeous women who hang in that place can represent a serious distraction but I managed to read a couple of books and kill the afternoon.

           [Author's note 2017: this photo is from the Monsters of Rock festival in Spain. I missed it.]

           JZ decided to visit his dad, so cancel anything else. Anything new? In a sense, yes, because I didn’t think it would work as well as it did. Sharper Image has this collar device. You add water and it has a tiny fan that creates a mist that evaporates around your neck. I don’t know how it would work in the real world but it felt definitely cool in the store. The claim is 20 degrees cooler, which it probably does. The point is, since it is around your neck, it really feels like it is doing a great job.
           This was not one of my more exiting Sundays. I did need the day off. The last two weeks at the Thrift have reminded me of what it is like to have to work for a living. Sometimes it isn’t even the work as much as the feeling that you know you have to be there. I looked over my quarterly statements, some of these investments go back years beyond memory and yet not one of them has paid off. I see my mutual funds are chugging along at the going rate.

           It was that particular string of investments that made me finally realize the amount of truth that you cannot get rich by trying. At least not the average person. I knew that it was true, I qualified it by saying the amount of truth. So I did what I thought was best. I made up some pots for my carrot ferns, avocado and peach plants. Good call!
           Then, I drank orange soda and read up on CSS. None of it is difficult but I can see it involves working very closely with your HTML programmer. In fact, if that programmer is not totally on your side, it might be a better idea to do it yourself. All these books give lip service to the planning stages but in real life I have yet to see it. I still have not made any bucks at the web, except for tiny projects here and there. My cash reserves are getting seriously low, so a job is definitely not out of the question.

           There seems to be an unnatural demand for CMAs, indicating that that degree is now the equivalent of a high school diploma. The people are not smarter, but the standards have fallen. Time to time, I hear the amusing quip that making $10,000 is twice as much as $5,000. This is ridiculous in reality. That is like saying 10 degrees is twice as hot a 5 degrees, when in fact they are both below freezing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++