Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

October 25, 2006

           (This is a gif of Hollywood Blvd, way ahead of its time. I had no such software until 2018, though I had produced gifs manually by then. Enjoy.)
           I truly need one of those bicycle carriers. The Jamus just fits into the back of the station wagon. This can warp the bike frame over time and the Jamus is too nice for that. I cranked it over to the shop this morning and worked half the day on setting up a new browser, Opera. I like it so far but have not found a version that works with my Linux installation yet. I have the new HP Pavilion hooked into place. It will be fun to figure out how to network that with the Linux machines to share the printer. I don’t even know if
           Linux uses workgroups.
Another whirlwind day with the Publisher’s accounting and I’m having serious second and third thoughts about that. The way it is set up, things are almost as if somebody went out of their way to make it as difficult and complicated as possible. Every step has to be handled five and six times and it is often necessary to go back and change things. This type of system cannot be improved without major changes and I don’t think the owner is keen on doing that.

           Literally, each account requires 15 discreet steps and he wants them done in order for each account. Why? Because that is the way he understands it, but having him understand it was never part of the deal, although he says it was. Efficiency, however, says the work should not be linear. All the first steps should be complete before beginning the second step. It cost me half a day doing it the other way. Already I’ve had to go back and redo accounts when I discover it was a co-author arrangement with a surname later in the alphabet.
           Cowbody Mike called to say he invested some bucks into home recording software and finally defenestrated it. Not an uncommon reaction to such computer code. They take a two step process and split it into ten steps. He asked if I can burn the music he’s got on zip disk to a CD. That entirely depends on what format is on the zip disk, which I tried to explain to no avail, but I can probably take care of that.

           Crane emailed back, and sure enough, they want me for jury duty. They have probably heard every excuse in the book, but I will decline by not answering. I have a witness that I only check my mail once every five years and do not accept unsolicited mail from any party. I will calculate the cost of the fine and just pay it. There is also a form they want filled out which I have not seen, but no doubt it is one of those forms designed just to make sure you are who and where you say. I long for an America when one was allowed to stand still and not be molested by the system. Sigh.
           So I went over to Oakwood Plaza to see the movie Borat. It will knock you half out laughing. A great twist on the theme of different cultures clashing with American. It concerns a man who comes from central Asia to learn about America and the incredible scenarios he encounters. It got me laughing out of control for the first time in years.

           It was an original movie, but not an original concept. Around a year ago I flipped through a paperback about a “Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry” that contained many of the kernels for Borat and would not be surprised if there is some connection. I did not buy the book but the humor was exactly the same grade.
           Back home, I spent yet another two hours on the accounting. There is little chance I will continue to do these books his way. If I cannot be allowed to make a profit, I will have to decline the work. It is mindless to do such work the way it is now arranged, by which I mean it is like a ridiculously complicated type of clerical work. I found situations where I had to go back and change my own backup copies.
           There is a slim chance I would put this on a database. The motive there is partly because Don does not know enough about database to interfere the way he does with spreadsheets. He possibly thinks a database will work wonders here but I don’t think he understands the awesome learning curve if he wants to understand even to a limited degree. We’ll start with tomorrow, where he will have to destroy several checks he has already written.

           I should record the cause, in case he denies responsibility. Okay, he chided me for creating a list that standardized the spelling of the author’s names and book titles. As I stepped through this list, he would instruct me to ignore certain items. Authors that died, went insolvent or became inactive. I wanted to wait until all the accounts were checked but he wanted to cut checks for the active accounts as quickly as possible. We cut checks.
           Now, I find several inactive accounts that had balances in arrears. He has cut checks for people who owe him money, not the other way around. There are two choices. Devise some special scheme for the authors where the overpayment applies (a brand of nonsense) or void the checks and start over for, in some cases, the seventh time. Tomorrow we find out which he chooses.
           Did I mention Opera? Yes, I did. It also has a blog feature I will look into soon. Any blog has to be an improvement over the ones I’ve already looked at. If it is a simple and anonymous setup, I will devote Friday to getting something out on the circuits. Fred and Mike were a little incredulous about the extent of this journal. I understand that for everyone who plans or starts, maybe one in 100,000 actually keeps writing. Maybe I’ll give them a sample.
           The new issue of Cahoots is out. I took an extra coffee break downtown and went over the articles looking for patterns. While it is hard to take much of it seriously, it is based on fact. For example, I thought the article of a rich lady getting snagged for rigging a contest was bogus, but Fred knows her and she was really arrested for it. So, that means the humor is a nice mesh for my style. Here is a picture of JZ at the Halloween stand.