Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 4, 2007

June 4, 2007


           I had to spend the morning getting the tune list extended. This is the process of adding a “one more time” to each of the songs on my MP3 list. It is tricky to do, even with an envelope tool. A lot of the original tunes were barely three minutes long, I’m sure I’ve said that before.
           Dickens called, he is on the road. I can tell it is a dead week by the lack of cars on the road, so he picked a good time to get out of town. I decided at the last minute to stay here today or I won’t get a chance to work on the music before Wednesday. I also have to put a small ad package together for Cowboy Mike’s peppermills. Here’s a better shot of one being held by a professional actor. Each mill is custom made from hardwood laminate. These sell for around $150 each. Wait, that ain’t no actor, that’s Cowbody Mike.

           Next, I just raised my prices for an HP printer install. Pay me $45 or go rassle with it yourself, particularly if you bring it in after you’ve messed it up at least once. Consider that price a bargain for the hour it takes to delete your mistakes and listen to your hard luck story. Then you can call HP and tell them what they can do. I’d like to think people are smart enough to question just why it takes two minutes just to copy the HP (printer driver) files when it should take ten seconds.
           My tuition has gone up. The challenge exams will cost $65 as of July 1. I need ten of the courses, and you can add on another $25 per exam fee from the school. Let’s see, that is still $1080 less per course than at Barry, and gives me lots to do this summer. I talked with Tweedia and I can start any time. Wouldn’t you know it, both libraries in this area have poor reference sections and shelf-loads of fiction.

           There was an interesting article on the Internet. Who recognizes Spybot, the anti-adware people? I think they do a fine job and recommend their product. It would seem others on the receiving end may think alike. They sent a lawyer over to “explain” [to Spybot] why their product could not possibly be infecting computers with pictures of “dancing girls” when, in fact, it was doing just that. Further, the company “Okra” wanted Spybot to stop detecting their adware and a written apology. Their lawyer must have went to the same school as the Runt. Freedom of Speech, you know.
           Later, Cowboy Mike called and we’ve scheduled a rehearsal for Thursday. He’s got the bookings. Most of the tunes are older than a California barmaid but if it gets me out there working, I’ll be happy for that. He is surprised things are moving so fast. Tells us what he is used to. I shouldn’t nag, I’ve been looking for seven months, although half of that was on a long shot. You see, I’m different than a Florida musician in that if I join somebody else’s band, I feel I have to learn their material.

           More news on Steve, the cancer guy. He is soon out, but not exactly. He’ll be living in a half-way house for the next 90 days. I don’t know if that means a day pass but it probably means the cat is here until September. I asked his mentor for the money already promised me and cash to get the girl-cat operation. That cat (Pudding) knocks things over. Lamps, books, guitars.
           It is tax time for me. In 1,900+ transactions last year, my books are only $18.96 out. (For non-material amounts, I just pay the tax on it and forget about it). Everything balanced until I found a tiny error (20 cents) and corrected it. Everything else passed all the standard audit tests time after time, so I’m about to make the GDP of the USA a little less accurate this year, in their favor.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++