Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

June 5, 2007


           I may have found a place that sells what I’ve been looking for. Except business has been so bad this month I can’t afford it. This is a Honda 900. I’m not looking for something that big or heavy, but this one has just 6,000 miles on it. There is a Yamaha 4-stroke in the background, I believe a 750. The price on the Yamaha is $1200 but I know the guy would come down a lot from that. What I have in mind is a 450 or 500, somewhere in that range and I don’t want to spend more than $600.
           It was a near perfect day in the shop, in that sales were steady, and the customers were evenly paced so I had time to check out Dickens’ computer. I think the problem might be a super slow Internet connection. I’m going to reformat the hard drive tomorrow, it is one of those excellent 40GB units I replaced with 160s before I found out the larger drives were very fragile. That computer is very susceptible to spyware for some reason.

           I took 19th Avenue all the way up past Dania Beach Blvd, and in the process I pass through Dania Beach Heights. That is either a lie or a joke, of course, since the elevation in this part of the world is around 4 feet and the nearest hill is a six and a half hour drive. However, reading the “For Sale” signs had me take a picture of what $250,000 will buy you in Florida, right now today. For a cool quarter-million you could move into your new digs. I’ll find a couple of guys to help you with the grand piano.
           The layout of the store is great, it is actually better for keeping an eye on things in the front area where the pricier articles are displayed. I was surprised, a vintage alligator skin belt sold today for $36. That’s like more than all the belts I’ve owned in my life, I think. It didn’t look all that great to me, leather is leather. I checked out the rack and there are some rattlesnake hides in there as well.

           I see my eBay account is still active. I did not have a lot of time but I wrote some of the ad copy for the peppermills. I see there are other models offered in the $30 to $60 range. We’ll have to really push the home-made angle and the quality. The competition are painted items, so you can’t see what kind of wood is underneath. While all this was going on, I had the radio on a country station. There is another two-chord special on the charts, called “What’s a Guy Gotta Do To Get a Girl in this Town”. It contains every country cliché known, although the lyrics are a riot.

           [Author's note 2016-06-06: This is the same song I chose to learn and play two weeks ago at the open mic. I had long since forgotten its mention in 2007, almost precisely nine years before. I have no explanation for why so many items in this blog appear on or near their "anniversaries.]

           Remember the orange grower whose network I set up a few months back? Well, he came in and asked about a web page. I’m going to check around on his behalf, since it will be months before I can help out. There are basically two types of pages, the one where you simply have a presence and the other where people can buy items from your site. I’m beginning to understand why the big web pages are created by teams instead of individuals. He ships fresh Florida oranges all over the country. Not the most exciting career, but he does own the building.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++