Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 19, 2007

August 19, 2007

           It is a picture of me lugging a bag of “Turbo” cat food down the aisle at the Super Wal-mart. That cat has to generate everything from something, you know. Okay, so the picture is faked, but you get the idea. There are no hungry mouths around here. I was on my way to buy peanuts in the shell and noted that both foods had similar chemicals, calories and contents. The flavor, I have not checked.
           Where is Marion? The plan was Orlando in September and no word in several weeks now. I was thinking about her early this morning. I’ve also decided not to go visiting this Sunday. I’ve got things to catch up on. One of them is “Tush”, the ZZ Top tune. Unfortunately, it has the same key and beat as “Move It On Over” by Thorogood so I can’t play both.
           What I do have is the technology to take the lead breaks out of one tune and drop them into another. I believe given a few hours, I could do this, as it is quite easy to alter the playback speed of an MP3 without changing the vocal pitch. Remove and adjust the lead breaks from “Tush”, which is less suitable for my crowd, and patch it into a super-long medley. Since I’ve learned how to splice things without a seam, I’m not as hesitant to chop songs up any more.
           As the vacancy rate goes up around here, Jose and I have been trying find somebody who left a partially-full propane tank behind. Either no luck, or somebody has been grabbing them all as soon as the place looks empty. There is probably somebody in the area that swipes them for a living. He has a used fridge somebody wants to give away, so I may be back in smoothies by tomorrow.
           For those who understand why an old TV movie might still be news to me, I bought some old remakes on DVD. Some of them are gems that never took off and one examples is “The Harvest”. This writer in Mexico gets a dog bite and they test him for rabies. He has a rare blood type. Next thing he knows, he is kidnapped and missing a kidney. I’ve only seen half the movie.
           Then, over to a client to find out why his software quit working. It was that dumb old Adobe Acrobat problem where their versions are not compatible. Worse, more than one version can be installed on the same machine. Good going, Adobe. What really yanks my chain is that a later version can convert an earlier so it can’t be read again by the original. The missing file is “PDFMaker”, but it seems to me that is exactly what Adobe is supposed to do – make PDFs. What doesn’t tally up here?

           I finally walked away from it for a while and went down to Hollywood Beach. It seems I may have a paying gig next Sunday. No details yet as to hours and pay, but I would take anything in that general area for now. The number of Florida women who look good is inversely proportional to the distance from the waterfront. Or put another way, “Hooray, I got a gig! A paying gig! Clapton, eat my dust!”
           Here’ another Florida sale item, this time a stainless steel food container. It has a lifetime warranty but not the lid and handle. Which are made of plastic, duh. I was at Big Lots, a liquidator chain. Already, most of the non-food products [on those shelves] are made in China, a telltale sign of something. Makes me wonder what the next five years will bring.
           Trivia for today, anyone ever been to Malta? The island is apparently pretty pitiful. The moment it ceased to be a stopover port to the Suez canal, even the English cleared out. Okay, so how desolate was the place? Apparently in ancient times, part of the toll was each ship had to pay a bag of dirt, which was used to spread over the island rocks to grow food. I’ll stick with Hawaii.