Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 29, 2003

January 29, 2003

           It’s Lumby. My little doggie from Sandy and Tennis. His real name was Columbus and he spoke only Egyptian. The thinking was that I would be the only one who could give him commands. Wrong, every kid in the neighborhood quickly learned the words. Sadly, I gave him a budget set of shots. When he was two, he developed a rare strain of distemper and had to be put down. This water-damaged picture was taken over thirty years ago.
           Today we talk money. My $30,000 in pension funds with [my old union at] the telephone company. Something does not add up. [Author’s note: it was straightened up in my favor a few years later.] I contacted them for two values, the current surrender value and my monthly payment at age 65, which is supposed to be $1,220. (Over 90% of the amount I would get if I worked there another twenty-five years.) This payment is really an annuity, and based on 20 years to 2039, I could not find a reasonable interest rate that supported that payment. I had to be sure it was not an error.
           I vested my money on May 23, 1996. Whether the $30,000 was the value at that date or has grown to that value in the 7 years I participated is unknown (the plan is defined benefit, not defined contribution) but neither total supports an annuity of the amount stated. I ran every quarter percentage between a low of 6% and a high of 9%.
           Here is my logic. Choose the traditional rate of 8%. Both to build up my principle and to keep that rate during the term of the annuity, the following is required: $145,927.96. I need that much to take out $1220.61 for 240 months.
           If the $30,000 earned 8% since 1996, it comes close, but not close enough. The union says it will be from December 2, 2003, in which case I would have only $95,165.00 by normal retirement age. There is one variable I can’t disallow and that is this pension fund is very well run and has produced 12% before. My old union owns VLC, the Vancouver Land Corporation. Worth billions.
           So, I am going to peel this onion until I get the facts. This could be a challenge since the “pension assistant” who wrote the letter must be functionally illiterate [about] time values. A powerless cog in the machine. (Ann Tamboline is her name.) I really hope I don’t have to explain to them it is my money and I’m only letting them use if for a while. I had to go over this with Bank of America recently.