Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

January 28, 2003

           It’s Greg, my neighbor. He was super handy at fixing things, which is neat because I had lots that needed it around my place. Here we are fixing up an old radio. It worked but it was a 1935 model that kept drifting off station. We chummed around for years until his wife, a Canadian, got pregnant and they kind of disappeared to somewhere in Burnaby.
           [Author’s note: within a year of this entry, I quit eating all red meat products.]
           Once a month I eat liver, probably because I was raised to believe it is necessary. I don’t care for the flavor, but I like onions and gravy. Please, I usually talk about better things than food, but the serving today was the best in memory. At the “Faraya”, 58th St. and 82nd Ave. in NW Miami. I read while dining, so I had my copy of “Russia and the Soviet State”.
           [What amazes me is that the Russian Revolution was not a communist uprising. It was more of a protest against the horrendous war casualties. When the government was overthrown, it left a vacuum into which the Soviets stepped. They were neither popular nor particularly wanted but were organized and took advantage of the situation.]
           I also like to read the Sharper Image catalog. It has really gone downhill since the first time I saw one, which was in Waikiki around 1986. At that shopping center across the canal, Moana Loa, I think. The catalog used to be full of novel gadgets but now it is expensive gimmicks for the gimped. Magnetic bracelets, foot massagers and big-button remote controls. However, there was a pair of cyber-goggles claiming a 31 foot virtual display. At $700, I’ll pass. Yet I like the concept.
           Oddly, questions on my behavior came from an unusual source today. It must be based on my volume of output, since nobody watches me work. I was told that it is felt I am generally not putting in for all the hours I work. Ha, that will be the day.
I’ve also embarked on some intensive database studies, hoping to cash in on my only known asset. (The ability to see patterns where others see nothing.) That is an asset, not a talent. I worked hard for it. Why, there’s a few times I wish I’d paid a little more attention in class. Now I’m having to get re-acquainted with my old friend, SQL.