Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 11, 2008

January 11, 2008


           This is a little building art in West Palm Beach. Sadly I report whatever business was there is gone. Sunday is slated for another train-bike excursion. This is the perfect weather stretch and I’m not one to waste the opportunity. The furthest areas get preference, so I think this tour will be Del Ray. Keep checking back.
           Beware of the evil Florida CAM clause. Common Area Maintenance. I did a callout to a condo where the roof was being re-tarred and the “assessment” was $10,000 per resident. While I was there, the party received notice that because of this roof, all air conditioners also had to be replaced whether or not they were working. The replacement could only come from one approved source, and they cost another $2,000 each.

           Jimbo’s was rockin’ tonight. I didn’t make any money, but my life-long policy of using gigs as rehearsals is showing results. (Jimbo’s is fully aware of this policy.) This is the third time around for the drummer and harp player and they’ve learned where the stops are Some guy from Texas (Philip) walked in the door carrying a guitar. It turns out it was mostly for show but I shanghaied him into jamming. Thus the three hour gig went easily until two in the morning.
           My equipment is taking a beating. At one point we had five people playing mostly using my instruments. It is amazing how many other people’s guitars lack sound holes, pickups, jacks, batteries and generally cannot be used for any stage work. My volume pedal crapped out, and that is a $65 replacement.

           The most important development would be the increasing awareness of the crowd and musicians that my act does not require a lead guitar player. They were a little leery of that at first, but tonight was a classic demonstration that I know this business. Even the drummer finally commented that I “sure knew what [I] was doing”. The tune that ruled was Herman’s Hermits, “Henry the VIII”. I just added it two days ago.
           I fear our ex-guitarist, the Hippie, has gone off the deep end. He was in the shop today going on about some kind of smear campaign against his musical career. This is supposed to be happening on the Musician’s List, but the details suggest it is really all happening in his mind. We scrolled back as far as time permitted through hundreds of postings and did searches on all reasonable criteria. We could not find a single ill word on his gigs, lessons or open mics. (For a man whose enemies are legion, is he not foolishly telegraphing where he is most vulnerable?)

           Oddly, he also claimed he had no enemies, to have a following at the Moose, and to be earning $100 per week, all of which I’d have to see to believe. We did find thirty-one of his posts against Club M and seven against Boston Johnny’s, so he is pretty brash to state that suspecting him of slandering Jimbo’s is unprecedented. He can pretend he is the innocent victim but the weight of evidence says otherwise.
           He had a huge fight going with Bill SFMS, yet he implied they were friends. Next he’ll be claiming friendship with Wiggins, another person he verbally assaulted for months on end. (These people apparently had the hard bark to publish opinions without asking his permission.) Folks, I finally went on-line and asked for any proof of any kind, willing to accept any shred of evidence, in case something I had written might have been misinterpreted. But by day’s end, nothing. We cannot find a single post that attacks his career.

           Mind you, there were nearly 1,100 which retaliate against his person, almost entirely on a different (non-music) list. I say retaliate, because these posts mention u-hauls, meds and goats, and things he has only himself to blame over. As well, his bad spelling is like DNA. Now that his enemies are stacked ten deep, is he trying to employ misdirection as a defense? Good luck. For clarity, I do not say he is the one who posted the fake cancellation, but that I say he was behind it. I didn’t say it was his fault, I said I am blaming him. Read the fine print. Unless a total stranger appears with a confession, the prosecution rests.
           Er, posting the letter asking for proof resulted in a flood of other responses. No comment. The important thing is that I get enough groceries for the bike trip to Del Ray tomorrow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++