Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 10, 2008

January 10, 2008


           This vehicle is up in West Palm Beach, which is across the Intercoastal Waterway from Palm Beach, where I’ve never been. It is some kind of delivery rig for a pub. It attracted my attention because I have not seen one since Thailand in 1988. The roads over there are flooded with these. It is a three-wheeled motorcycle, known as a “tuk-tuk” (say took-took). They are an excellent alternative to taxis.
           Over to the doggie wig place. The new staff is still shaky on the process of placing an order with the Orient. Too bad, if the store had followed my guidelines, they would have three people to take care of that. It seems, after a year of back and forth, the factory can finally make the dreadlock [style hairpiece] out of some type of mattress flock. This is the hairpiece that, at first, the factory thought was some kind of witchcraft and did not really exist. As far as most people are concerned, they were right.

           It was the usual backlog of ordinary business situations that nobody over there had the wherewithal to carry off, so I was again the savior. The regular staff, all women, like it when I perform dynamic feats of strength such as opening the new coffee can and up-ending the new water bottle. There’s a new dude over there, named Lou, who was most taken aback by the system in place, the way the database could easily adapt to something as strange as a doggie wig in the wrong size, style and color. Hey, it is just another piece of information.
           Don’t expect any great news. That doggie wig ordering is the most job-like thing I do these days. I didn’t have time for music practice. I wonder how many talents have been stifled by having to work for a living? Hell, I wonder what I might have done with a little help when I was young. I don’t know what happens when I’m not over there but the system is now geared toward numerous smaller orders.
           I don’t know how sales have been, but the very questions that are being asked show that matters are chugging along at around the rate that could be expected. If the dog wigs become an institution, I have been offered a position at $100,000 per year, which is enough to draw even me get away from teaching. The now semi-trained staff is making a positive difference.

           The Florida traffic meant two hours to get home instead of twenty minutes. It just takes five times longer to clear an accident off the road here as it does in the real world, which is only mildly slower than the rest of Florida. By comparison, Texas is efficient. A simple posting back home in Texas brought dozens of replies and eager offers to help when I asked for a missing phone number. Proof again what I say about this place. Working for a living is hell and there is no way to refine it.
           I didn’t get home until dark. This gives me time to bond with Pudding-Tat, the lnly known cat that won’t eat raw tuna. I crawled down on the floor to see things from her perspective, only to confirm her world revolves around being fed and petted. Upon any kind of attention, she now drops on the carpet and expects to be scratched and rubbed there and now. Even mentioning her name. Where have we seen this before?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++