Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 15, 2008

           Sad news for the literate minority of Hollywood. Trader John’s, the bookstore, is closing down. This photo shows their new premises with the thousands of books on newly built shelving. The details are sketchy but the rent seems to have doubled after they moved in the beginning of this month. I stopped in following a minor bicycle repair in the neighborhood this morning to find them packing up.
           After an eight year quest, what should finally arrive in the mail today? An official document stating I was “born alive” at 7:35 p.m. I was the 142nd birth at Bethania that year and thank my stars that the city kept a separate set of official birth records. Fancy, too, with the state seal and full of signatures, including Dr. Huff’s. I have written to my Senator.
           The trivia question for today concerns whether you can get a “DUI” for riding a skateboard.. The survey goes comes in around fifty-fifty and I side with the negative. My understanding is that before one can be charged with drunk driving, it must be a powered vehicle (or you can’t drive it) and the operation must normally require a license. That is not to say a person without a license can’t be charged but that is not the point. If so inclined, one could get plastered and still go about on a bicycle or hang glider. However, others swear they know of instances where drunk horse-riders have been arrested. (The story goes that he was blind and the horse knew the way home.)
           Now, I don’t doubt that, but I think we have the beginnings of an urban legend. The skateboarder was probably charged with disturbing the peace, or public intoxication, but that does not amount to a DUI. Also, the three possible remedies (fine, imprisonment and revocation) don’t make sense. You can’t lose your canoeing license, but when relating the tale to his friends, it will certainly be referred to as a DUI.
           Johnny, the guitarist, has disappeared. Or at least he cleared out of his room behind the El Presidente market on Federal. He does a show sometimes at the Wiley pub, the second worst watering hole in the county, full of thugs and thieves. He’ll be there some time this week, mark my words.
           My question about whether my coconut was edible has been solved. Somebody stole it.