Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, January 20, 2008

January 20, 2008


           This is JZ at a sushi bar. Except for taking the picture, you don’t see me near those things. Let’s see, we got raw squid with seaweed, deadly pufferfish with shark belly, and for desert poison sea cucumber. I will admit to eating sushi once in Tarzana, California in 1991. See it dint bodther me nun. They say this sushi tradition dates back to 660 B.C. (I personally attest that most of the food tastes like it.) It’s enough to make you want to bomb Pearl Harbor.
           Cancel Boynton Beach. I’m down with the flu and it is raining hard. Deep chest congestion, I even stood on my head for 4 minutes at a time to clear the tubes. I could not sleep well so I used the time to transcribe my hand-written adventures from Thailand during late 1984. Will I even be able to post some of those early dates? I’ll figure something out. I like that saying, “Treason is a question of dates.”

           Pictures of that era will be rare until I get enough cash to have a ton of personal effects taken out of storage back home. The “guitar” referred to many times was a small size bass, sometimes called a “kiddie bass” I took with me overseas. Take about an icebreaker, I quickly met every guitarist in every town. I used to get a few jokes about it [being so small] until people heard the sound. It was these trips overseas that convinced me most guitarists cannot play anything except the blues and that they cannot do anything the same way twice, a highly suspect situation.
           I learned the few covers that Guitar Johnny does. He is so totally left coast, did I mention last Friday he almost didn’t think we could jam because “nobody brought a drum machine”? And I spent five minutes learning “Red House”, which is what it’s worth. I looked at one of those Hohner basses, with the strings on backwards and almost no body. It the thing played upright? Considering what they cost, it may be while before I find out.

           Later, I did a run for medicine and found the whole area crowded with people. What is going on? Hundreds of people in the stores. Pharmacy sections are an excellent determinant of supply and demand. I bought cough medicine, but far more people around me must have winter itch, sore feet, acid reflux, lower back pain and bloodshot eyes. Statistically, one in six has some condition they are unaware of in type and seriousness. Just how much medicine do some people have to take before they realize God is telling them something?
           Anything else important this week? Yes, I did get a call back from the Accountemps people, who are very interested in the fact that I teach accounting and computers. The questions were positive. They understand I do not do clerical work, something I’ve got a thousand excuses about. How about this one? When you do can do something in five minutes that takes them an hour, they only want to pay you for the five minutes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++