Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 21, 2008

January 21, 2008


           Here’s a photo of where JZ grew up. This is the house that took us three months to paint back in 2004. Mind you, we only worked on weekends. This is looking west from the ocean and I should point out this is only ¼ the size of the really big mansions in the same area. The place requires gardener to drop by weekly. This is a satellite photo called “birdseye” taken from a web page that lists the locations of radar speed traps via the Internet and GPS. Hey, JZ, I can see that spot you missed.

           Legal matters took the day, things are moving slowly. I am considering filing in Small Claims Court for an extra $5,000 relocation costs. This is after I found out that the city has a zoning law that says it is a minimum of $10,000. The trailer has been rezoned, so that clause would apply. Depending on how it is worded, is it a payment or a reimbursement? Florida can be bad for laws that “exempt” parties with material interests.

           I have to stay below the limit of $5,000 but I’ve also heard it can cost up to $250 to file the action. I’ll have to look that up. Edna, head of the tenants committee, dropped by, but she is giving herself high blood pressure from taking on City Hall. No, no, this is the time for discreet tactics. My guess is they will bulldoze the place rapidly after the deadline to both lower their taxes and scatter the tenants from forming any united front. That’s what I would do, but I would also have paid a fair price.
           Edna is okay, but she is easy to throw off course. Plainly that is what all the lawyers and city people have spotted and they do it to her all the time. She’s convinced every issue is big and complicated. They may get their chance to try that with me, because I am now acting only as a tenant, not as an owner.

           Wouldn’t you know it? Just weeks after I retired one computer at the shop, I start getting the extra clientele. I’ll rig up the old $150 unit from the Thrift, since the majority of my customers just want to surf and check email. Dickens was going to drop in, but I’ll wager things got too busy. That’s the thing about being married—the tiniest task becomes a major operation.
           This flu is unmerciful but I did get out of the house and into the shop all afternoon. Face it, no known brand of cough medicine works on me. I’m one of those recalcitrant types that keeps bucking the pharmaceutical system. That is correct, no cough syrup has any effect on me whatsoever.

           I will never own another Brother printer, they have become as bad as HPs. Hundreds of files installed instead of one simple file that operates the printer. This time, I uninstalled an unused program (Nitro) that had nothing to do with my printer, and now the scanner won’t work. “Cannot communicate with TWAIN device”. Even a complete uninstall and reinstall does not get it back. It is strange they still build a printer that can even have this problem. It’s software because the mechanical scan button still creates those useless bitmaps. I’ve always maintained the drivers should be built into the printer, not installed on your computer.
           Another bad investment is those IBM Thinkpad notebooks if you are trying to get any serious work done. Mike lent me one and I was ready to throw it in the trash. Those touchpads have never worked right. Double-clicking can easily move the cursor to the wrong command between clicks. Hovering over anything is the same as activating it. I lost my work twice just by moving the cursor out of my way and accidentally parking it on some command. It is hard to select or drag and drop. The worst aspect of all these features, plainly designed for no-minds, is that you cannot easily disable them. Yes, there are ways around all of it, but I said “serious work”.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++