Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 22, 2008


           This is a photo for the guitar player who just cannot make up his mind. I believe this shows just about everything you can do to make a guitar sound like something it is not. Eventually they should come out with a distortion sound for every rock band. Then you would just buy a pedal called what ever snappy name is on the charts this week. There is one pedal that is worthwhile, called the Choruser. Because I use it.
           I was home all day, but not all evening. Yes, my Brother printer crapped out and I got into a woeful argument with them when they tried to get my private unpublished no-call-listed phone number before they’d give me any tech support. My column will cost them dearly – did I mention that some of the upper management of epinions are started to classify my work as “most helpful”, the second highest rating. Almost impossible for a newcomer to achieve.

           Today’s no-brainer award goes to the Vick’s Formula 44 people. The recommended dosage is one tablespoon. But you know that little plastic cuplet they give you? It is marked in milliliters. Yes, I know I said cough medicine does not work on me, but I mean because it does not stop me from coughing. I don’t know that it would not be worse if I didn’t take any. I’ve lost all sense of taste. I doubt there will be a gig this Friday (remind me to call the Gibson guy).
           This medicine was important, because I got out to see “Untraceable”, a guest movie at the Aventura Mall. A little sweet-talk got me into the press section even though the place was full. Sweet talk, you, like want a sample? How about this, “No, little lady, but I’ve got one hell of a blog.”

           The movie has a novel theme, a psycho rigs people up to die on-line based on how many people log onto the web page. He first kills a cat by luring it with some milk onto a hotplate covered with sticky paper. As more people log on, the plate gets hotter. However, the movie is basically ho-hum and predictable after the first half-hour. There are no big stars or good-looking actors, and somebody should give Hollywood the heads-up that the middle-aged lady detective with a kid angle is sorely overworked.
           Once it hits TV, it is worth your time. The movie tends to prey on what adults don’t know about the Internet, which has the opposite effect on those that do. One thing, I recognized plenty of scenes from Portland. If you see it, yes, Portland really does have that many bridges across the Columbia. Every mile.

           In a turn of events, you’ve heard me mention the petition business Fred runs? It is pretty flakey because sometimes there are no causes and the work dries up. This lady came in and has negotiated the right to conduct the petitions inside the courthouses. I immediately grabbed first dibs, if more petitions arrive, I get that prime location exclusively. Trust me, when I wear a suit and tie, people will sign anything I hand them. More information: the lady is a senior petition worker who makes up to two grand a week at it. I’d be satisfied with half that.
           Speaking of court, I’ve finished the basic research on Small Claims. No doubt that system is as corrupt as the rest of Florida, plus they have raised the filing fee to $256. That is deliberately unreasonable. Edna still wants to fight the zoning and such, I have no such intention. What I’d like is several people to pitch in and have Adam go to court with us as his witnesses. I will show them how to rehearse the procedure.
           It should take just three people to testify that none of us got a fair settlement. If the court is generous and pays that one, it is a signal for all the rest of use to invest the $256 and sue as well. SunVest is probably smart enough to cave. I believe the contract everybody signed can be voided using the defense of economic duress. Nothing was negotiated, most people arrived home to find a “take it or leave it” notice pinned to their door.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++