Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 7, 2008

January 7, 2008

          The check arrived in the mail, so this trailer is no more. But not so fast. Now that I got more than was paid for it, the passive resistance begins. There is a lawyer, Mitchell Chester, who looks into these matters for free. For those who don’t remember, the problem is that the trailer park ripped off all the people who do not stay here year-round by posting the buy-out notices after 60% of them (mostly French Canadiens, had left for the summer. SunVest saw the out-of-state plates on the Taurus and assumed they could pull the same stunt on me.
          They work together, the park, the developer and the title agent, each one saying they are waiting on the other as the months tick by. So as soon as I got the check, it was down to Coral Gables to get the cash, you don’t even take a chance depositing a check that size in this town. As predicted, there was a delay in Wachovia accepting their own check, but I was ready for them. It is nice to have a friend with $200,000 in a savings account to help out when you want the cash.
          That, plus I always get royal treatment showing up at Quizno’s—you can see JP wearing his uniform in the picture. Did I mention his Quizno’s got the annual award for the cleanest restaurant in Florida? This award apparently carries a lot of clout, for you should see the esteem in which his sister and brother-in-law are held by that corporation. Where I am royalty, Corey and Alain are little short of demi-gods. When Corey says “Jump!”, they say, “How high?” on the way up. He has been repeatedly mistaken for the president of Quizno’s at conventions.
          Things are moving along now, so I took the late afternoon off with a good book, in this case, reading about the life of Michael Faraday, whose physics I once studied. I did not know he was the gopher boy for Humphrey Davies. Among his theories is that France is a “nation of thieves”. Now, forgive me on this one, but he married a gal named Sarah Barnard, and that is one name that gives me the historical jitters. Do half the famous women between 1805 and 1940 all have the same damn name? Or was there only one and she did everything herself?
          Music. Responding to audience requests, I learned “Wolverton Mountain”. I’ve got four versions that are virtually identical. This reflects the 1960s way of recording a cover tune, where each artist tried as much as possible to sound exactly like the original. Add in Patsy Cline’s “Walking After Midnight” and a Bad Company’s “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love”. Again in each case, I had to re-write the bass lines to capture the “feel” of the song, not the way it was played then but the way it is remembered today. The difference can be remarkable particularly where the original bassist was a guitar player. They start to sound like the Hippie.
          Trivia. Who is the only non-military person in the US to have a holiday named after him? MLK.