Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, March 10, 2008

March 10, 2008


           Thank goodness Sunday TV is so boring. I managed to run off a small video clip of JZ and I on the Keys last weekend. That is JZ at a shell shop. (I took one look at the prices and it really was a shell shop.) Some day I’ll figure out how digital video works. Pudding-Tat was constantly nearby to ensure I did not over-concentrate. To listen to the poor little orphan you’d think she starved to death back in 1998. I am still having problems exporting the videos in standard playback format. Even the software that claims to do it right still burns coasters, that is, despite following the rule book to the T’s, sometimes the resulting DVD will not play.
           It is a sign of the times. I shall soon have some inside details to tell you about my new job. Me? A job? Now settle down, for I still view all jobs as selling out to the system. But for the past three years I have been living in the dissavings area of the aggregate consumption and investment curve. That’s Keynesian Cross Model economics for spending more than I earn. This is not the same as living on credit or welfare, nor is it as dangerous. Still, it cannot go on forever.

           Now that you’ve got me thinking about supply and demand, consider some facts. I grew up in an era where practically anyone could get a job anywhere by knocking on any door. For traditionalists, those days are forever gone. I view a job as something that pays the bills until something better comes along; never as something I intend to do the rest of my life. What can I supply to the marketplace today without the drawn-out process of dealing with the twenty questions people? Sales.
           I went to the interview, five minutes long. They said all the right things. You show up, you do the work, you get paid. Pure commission on what you sell, no quotas, no deadlines. Count me in. It is a phone room. You take incoming calls from pre-qualified customers. This is the job Mark, one of my regulars, told me about a few months ago, who also assured me there is no telemarketing involved. There are some things even I won’t do. Telemarketing isn’t one of them.

           Hell, sure I would, if it paid enough. I’ve always done well at sales jobs, provided I was not on a sales “team”. The very incentive of sales work is individual pay for individual performance. As near as I can tell, people call in after receiving a discount coupon. You up-sell them into a mini-vacation in Florida. The bottom line is they spend around $800 to get the discount. That is as American as you can get, pure apple pie.
           My radar sounded out the room. It is a series of cubicles in an atmosphere of relaxed activity. All age groups represented. No “Employee of the Month” plaques on the wall, although they likely exist. The supervisors are all 50-ish, casual dress, everybody starts on evening shift. Here is an easy job that pays as much as I was earning at my old career with potential to pay much more. (Sure, it is not steady and lacks security but in the end, those were illusions anyway.)
           I work Monday through Thursday, with the option to go in on Saturday. Considering there are a lot of women there, I might do that.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++