Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 29, 2008

March 29, 2008


           Here is the totally retro kitchen in the new place. Pink cupboards? Nonetheless, you will notice everything is full size, not trailer size. This purchase is still being negotiated and I am considering approaching a bank. It is actually larger and nicer than the place I was raised in.
           [It was one] great day, although Craigslist has developed a series of safeguards. They now prevent folks like us from taking advantage of their system. Nadia called today and I gave her the bad news [that her ad of early 2005 could not be easily duplicated]. I’ll figure out how to display her logo (by publishing from a CL site that allows jpegs and linking to it) just meanwhile there is no time to fret over the fact that we cannot publish the same ad for her [business] as two years ago.

           Will I post at any cost? No. Music is the exception, I’ll bust my ass for hours to get something done in the music department, but otherwise it is not worthwhile. At the shop today, Marcus was present. Tomorrow is the meeting with the Euros. The Craigslist roadblock (fyi Craigslist was a simple post-your-email site from back in 1995) seems to block any photos. I can’t post all manner of fancy things, the way they have it set up. I’ll need time to program the work-arounds.
           Where is Wallace? The Florida radar says he is tied up out west. I biked past the [Florida] property today. I will not make a single move without approval from the Pacific side. I suppose I could move ahead on my own but the entire premise of such a large domicile was always dependent on teamwork, the team being Wallace and me. Wallace is understandably cautious to purchase “sight unseen”. I look at it this way: short of Wallace making an uneconomic trip out here, the decision rests on my judgment. I’m the one who becomes the judge. But it would be the cheapest that both of us have ever lived, averaging around $250 per month each for great accommodations.

           The performance recordings are remarkable. These are the shots taken at Jimbo’s last evening. I can’t help but notice that the footage almost suggests all those tacky special effects associated with rock videos, such as flashing lights and fog machines. I’m saying that I now believe it was some early video artist that thought up all those extras. The slow progression of changes to my act over the past year were imperceptible as time went by and it is nice to see how things add up. Compared to a lot of dry single acts in this town, I could get away with a lot more than I do.
           It is also a case study in things that can go wrong up on stage. There is one hilarious shot where my guitar cable gets underfoot while I’m working the lo-hat. I can’t do anything without shifting weight, which would mean interrupting the beat. I can watch myself hop into the air, kick the cable away, accidentally lower the volume pedal and set it back again before hitting the ground. To the observer, it looks like I am dancing. Gigs are tough on equipment, more when you have me jumping on things.

           I think I’ll build light boxes. I learned before I was a teenager that flashing lights on stage don’t have to match the music. Very few people can tell any difference Christmas tree flashers work just fine. It is just two extra boxes to carry and I use ordinary floodlights. Now, if I could only convince Wallace to take up drumming.

           [Author's note 2017: in the end I bought some lights that had a detector to randomly flash the lights to the beat of the music. Seriously, such things would have been too expensive when I was a kid. So just occasionally, I do see something new.]

           Last for today, I’ve concluded my study of Javascript. I am really not impressed and I will not get much use out of it unless something changes. Javascript is needlessly complicated for its limited capabilities and cannot rank with any serious scripting languages. It has a wanton appeal to near-programmers and explains why so many web pages are so repetitious. It brings nothing new or novel to the computer field, and in many ways is a retrograde step that ignores the lessons of experience. Trust me, no computer language since 1985 is “new” if it is fundamentally dependent on finicky punctuation, uses retard counting, and requires formatting to print ordinary strings.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++