Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, March 28, 2008

March 28, 2008

           This is a sculpture at Aventura Mall. It is bronze and I have no idea what the blue tape is all about. Maybe they are tracing bullet paths? This creation stands a good ten feet tall and made of bronze. So quit using it for target practice. You want people should think Miami-Dade is unappreciative of art?
           It looks like plan B for the recording. I was at Circuit City, BrandStupid, Walmart and A&B for a few, looking for that tape deck. Pardon my ignorance, but there appears to be no portable recording device on the market comparable to a good old tape deck. People are quick to advise me to use a computer (I don’t look like I’d know anything about them) but are equally quick to dodge a question of how that should be accomplished. One clerk at BrandStupid did mention an MP3 recorder.
           Is there such a device? I’d buy it right now, within reason. My largest task is creating and post-editing MP3s. What a boon it would be to record them directly without needing a computer. I will accept anything that works. Those slide-show picture frames will play MP3s, but you can’t pick which tune. Ideal would be a self-contained CD burner (or flash drive) but the manufacturing community is still feeding us crap.
           I couldn’t bring my camera to bear fast enough on what turned out to be a very interesting morning drive. So you don’t see the buzzards flocking in Miami Gardens or the retro Harley shop on 441. One curious thing, Workforce called and asked for my updated resume, which I will do Monday. During the conversation, I casually mentioned I was doing telephone work. The guy wanted to know where. I explained it was not my career nor something I would do for a living and not what I was looking for. But he would not let go. He got intense about knowing where I was working. Anyone know what that is all about? He would not accept my words that it was not something I wanted kept on file. (Now he’ll never know, but it goes to show you trusting types what your system is capable of.)
           Plan B works like so. I video the gig. Since I already play along to prerecorded tracks, it should be easy (by comparison) to overdub a true sound when I acquire a tape deck. Other musicians must be recording in studios, a most expensive avenue. I have the “A” songs on my list engineered to the “lush” format and it has already proven its worth. The sound is truly realistic. It will be a while yet, for the technology only works in real time and I’ll require 9,500 more minutes to convert my existing material.
           Later. Every screw-up made possible by being out of practice went wrong with the recording session. Not music, but video practice. Yet, because I used analog recorders, I think the final product has that attractivel early Beatles look to it. I declare the “Spider” song is making me more money than the rest put together. I am still learning this solo act trade. The crowd was aware of the cameras and spruced everything up. Remind me to install fake cameras in the future just to watch the antics.
           I lost money on the gig—but that’s okay, after playing bass for the Hippie, I’m used to it. The microphones needed batteries and I just found out they are $5 apiece at the convenience store. Rocker Reed was in and stood in with percussion. He wants to jam regularly, to which I’ve agreed so long as he only uses a snare and hat. When he gets behind a full kit, he “turns 21 again”.