Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April 1, 2008

           First, let me be the one to officially abolish April Fool’s Day. It is a trite and outdated custom that nobody with a brain thinks is funny any more. From today onward, there will be nothing misleading published here on April 1 of any year. I’ve abided by this policy for some time but this makes it crystal clear.
           Keep reading today because I have a rare event to report—I got a straight answer out of somebody in Florida. Meanwhile, sales have been really off this week. I lost one today because of hesitating at the wrong moment. It was so dead and there was some jerk constantly calling and hanging up. How quiet was it? I had time to ponder that old riddle of one man who always tells the truth and another who always lies. (The answer is obvious, just figure out which one is the civil servant. Ha, ha.)
           Seriously, the situation is that you have two doors and you can only ask one question of which door is safe to enter. You have no way of knowing whether the man you ask is the liar. What question do you ask? The answer is you ask either man what the other man would say, and then you choose the opposite door. I drew a diagram and it works on paper. The point here is that’s how slow it was at the sales desks.
           I re-toured the new trailer and got a few good surprises overlooked on my first pass. For example, the master bathroom has double marble sinks. There is another half-bath built into the second bedroom. (That is correct, somehow I missed seeing a bathroom, but I took pictures of the area and sent a complete report to Wallace within the hour. In my defense, with the door closed, it looks like the spare closet. You can see what I mean in today’s photo.) I also sent [to Wallace] around thirty pictures showing every large room in the building.
           My Spanish is not enough to conduct detailed business, but I was able to find out from the seller that there are two trailer courts with similar names involved. The fate of either court depends heavily on the other, apparently because it is uneconomical to develop them in isolation. Of course, I will get the specifics before making any decision. The point here is that the second trailer court is locally famous for protecting the tenant’s interests; I consider this to be excellent news. Chances are I will drop in to see them tomorrow.
           Patience, I know what you are waiting for. No April Fool’s, I really did get an honest reply from someone today. It took time to locate anybody who knew about the trailer situation, considering most of the phone numbers supplied were out of service. So I finally called a former manager named Carlos. He was very busy and told me he no longer had anything to do with the trailer park and he is the one who advised me to check across the street. He said he could not really say anything about the trailers, so I asked him point blank if, knowing what he knew, whether he himself would buy a trailer in that park. That resulted in the straight answer. He said, “Yes.”
           Do not take that as encouragement or that it could sway my decision. I am after facts. It made the news only because I was not expecting a direct answer to a direct question. I was looking for teaching jobs most of the mid-day, and I’ve come up with something rather odd. There is a “holistic” school seeking someone to teach an Accounting course starting next Monday, six days away. They specified a Bachelor was required and that the 11 week course paid $350. This works out to $12.50 per hour, and I would have ignored it, except that it was such a familiar situation. They need somebody fill in. I thought it over and sent then a cautious letter. If they reply in a positive fashion, I will teach the course.
           For the record, I could not discover how holistic was relevant, so I may have to help them just to find out. I believe holistic medicine means “like healing like”, and extrapolate that to mean like teaching like. For another record, “holistic” might be some contrived New Age gibberish, because it is not in the Big Dictionary. There you go. (I am not anti-New Age, rather against people who use New Age concepts as a defense mechanism for crackpotism, which to date seems to be running at 100% of them.)