Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April 2, 2008

           Tales from the trailer court may soon be occurring from a much bigger trailer, which is to be interpreted as a step up in the world. From there, I may finally write my life history, a book I intend to call “Red-Assing 101”. This is a satellite rendering clearly showing how it dwarfs the surrounding units, yet still manages to fit a full size patio in along the street. Just find the biggest structure. You can see the rust-colored patio deck behind the largest row of shade trees in the entire area. Those trees will soon belong to Wallace. I believe it has been some years since he owned trees.
           It is difficult to find a popularly useful computer task that is not already out there, but I point again to the lack of a “booklet processor”. That is, a program similar to a word processor, that formats your print job to print so that when folded up, it becomes a real booklet. Not the half-booklet multi-page thing in Word that screws you up. I recognize that these programs work by inputting characters into an array. This may not make sense to a non-programmer, but my question is, “How do they know in advance how large a document you are going to create?”
           Delving into the mechanics of string arithmetic (which I surmise must be all that word processors do) means a simple character array. From there, the format somehow measures the print length, issuing an automatic carriage return at the last word of each line. This would be complicated with all the fonts available. Yet, how many of those fonts get seriously used? My guess is each character has a pixel width that can be accumulated. If I find the answer to these, and you watch, it will be well-hidden, I would be tempted to write my own code.
           The big development of the day is word from Wallace to go ahead with the purchase of the new trailer. I still have a few people to talk to, including the site manager. It turns out the area has no local association and has nothing to do with the neighboring court, despite all the rumors that it does. I was in and talking to everybody this morning except the one guy I could not find but must find. It also appears that some of the Canadians buy and sell their units each year, a handy business if you know how.
           The seller needs until May 23 to leave. I’ve negotiated a firm price, with $2,000 down and the balance due on May 22, occupancy the following day. For some reason she cannot leave even one minute earlier. I have to be out of here May 1, so I’ll try to swing a deal with the people here to stay on temporarily. I don’t really like the idea of moving twice in three weeks. I don’t think there is a binding generic sales contract in this state, so I’ll type one up.
           Lately there have been a flood of ads on Craigslist. They are selling information about how to manipulate the system. The prices range from $17 to $99, which allows me to judge that they must be selling only brute force approaches. Although I am curious about some things, at those prices they can’t be much more sophisticated than what I already use. Furthermore, a lot of them are confined to one topic, such as how to ensure your listing is always at or near the top. This creates the unadorned question of would you pay me $15 for an e-booklet on how to do all kinds of neat things on the system?
           There are some things I still don’t fathom, like how some of these people are able to post the same ad countrywide and how the system recognizes certain common features between users, but who cares. I would not include any of that in the book. Think along the lines of “The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Being a Prick on Craigslist.”, or “How to Post on Craigslist Like You Knew What You Were Doing”.
           Later, the first part of the sale is done, the transfer of funds. I’ve done this type of transaction several times since I arrived in Florida, but let me point out a huge difference. Never did it go so smoothly as when I dealt with west coast professionals. Even though a series of problems occurred, the actual event was like clockwork. There is nothing in Florida to compare with that, nothing. Move here, you’ll see what I mean.
           And, no sooner did I just write the last paragraph, when sure enough. Florida shafts us. I had earlier phoned WAMU and personally talked to the branch manager, who told me that a bank transfer was the safest way to send money internationally, and that the transfer was “practically instant”. Did he lie? He understood the money was needed now and that is why we asked about a bank transfer. When I got to the bank, I was informed I could not have the money for “two to three business days”. He is saying he meant the transfer was instant (into my account) after they receive the wire. Catch 22. The transfer and the wire are, in WAMU thinking, two separate items. Unbelievable assholes!
           Remember, in Florida you are constantly dealing with that type of low-level scum whose sole profit in life is screwing you around. I have never met an honest man from Florida. These people are morbid how they lie even when lying is totally unwarranted. In two to three days, we could have sent the money by USPS and saved the transfer fees. I had to call the trailer people and make apologies.