Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, April 28, 2008

April 28, 2008


           A near last look at the park, this one with some trees to emphasize the long years that the place has been here. My particular unit has been on this pad since 1956 when the structure was brand new. I cannot find any hurricane records but according to the locals, there have been a few severe storms in that time. I’ve looked at the anchor cables some of the units have (now that they are empty) and it is clear that the finest precautions of this type are cheaper than insurance premiums. I must discuss that with Wallace. Maybe I’ll look up what is available, who knows what I’ll find now that America has entered a defensive stage on the economic battlefield.
           Einstein was a postal clerk. Edison was a railroad worker, and so on. But you can be certain nobody with a half a brain was ever a security guard. With the possible exception of bank employees, that job has to be the lowest form of human life, bordering on a sub-species. This morning when I returned the flash drive to Gulfstream, the office was not [yet] open. Have you ever spent a half hour explaining to a security guard to give an envelope to the office when it opens? “But it isn’t open.”

           Did I mention banks? One thing you can say about American banks is they are all equally bad. The worst two are Bank of America and Washington Mutual, who have a rule or policy against everything you may want to do except deposit checks made out to you into your own account. (You should be able to deposit a check made out to you into any account you please, it is your check, not the banks.) Today’s example is cashing a check over $2,000. They won’t do it unless you have the money in the account to cover it, in which case they are not really cashing it. Yet you have to deal with banks or get ripped off worse by the check-cashers, and the system won’t protect your money unless you put it in a bank. All men who work for banks are certified bastards or the near equivalent.
           I’m still not having a lot of luck finding a good doctor, but I am learning a lot about the medical trade. The procedures of the business (and that you get) are largely the ones that insurance will pay for. It is a choking bureaucracy, there is even a jingoism for a person with cash, he is a “self-pay”. I only learned a few years ago that you could get a college degree in medical billing, but then again, when I grew up good doctors got paid more than bad doctors.

           That does not apply to my dermatologist, who is by a margin the best. They called this morning after the biopsy. It turns out that “mole” under my eye was not cancerous, but an ordinary wart. I still had to be sure. This means, in addition to the work already done, it has to be frozen to prevent regrowth. I am floored by how warts can be so persistent. I may just look up some of the facts since I should not be getting them.
           Enough people have asked me about pretexting that I will give a definition. This is a relatively new and contrived term and that accounts for the confusion in some people—it has nothing to do with text messaging. It is actually an old private eye tactic now taken over by advertisers. It is similar to “social engineering”, where you pump your target for information while pretending to be talking about something else.

           Pretexting occurs when this is done over the telephone. “Hi, I’m calling to confirm you ordered a pizza. Is your mother’s maiden name Clark? Great, now for a free pizza, would you care to take a short survey?” Do you see the scam? You just been pretexted. There are 220 places they could find out your mother’s maiden name before they called and gained your confidence. This particular script is often used by skip tracers and process servers.
           If all this isn’t exciting enough, let’s talk about Pudding-Tat. My theory is that the hungry cat (“poor starving little orphan how will you ever last until nap time”) is all an instinctive act. I purposely feed her varying amounts at different times to simulate the savanna hunting conditions. Cats come from Africa, don’t they? So here are the clues. She whines like crazy when I open the fridge, although her food is not in the fridge. She eats at the same time every morning no matter when you put the food in her dish. She only nibbles the rest of the time. She does eat when I’m not around per the security cam. The hypothesis is that we are dealing with some mysterious forces of nature. What say you?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++