Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

April 29, 2008

           For a nothing day, a lot happened. Pick out what you are interested in because I’m writing out the whole lot. I took the Jamis (10-speed) in for that tuneup. Once all the little things were added, it is probably over $100. That makes over $200 I’ve put into that rig, but it is by far worth it just in exercise alone. You don’t meet as many babes as you do at the gym, but you don’t see as many smelly gorillas either.
           Since the bike has to be left in the shop for another day, I took the time to visit Trader John’s and picked up one new book, “When Titans Clash”, a history book. I also decided to give myself a treat and bought a fog machine. That’s correct, I’ve finally taken at least a baby step toward tacky stage technology. I traditionally considered such things as something to keep the roadie busy so he wouldn’t slobber on the groupies. I have no idea how to use this thing but I’ll soon find out.
           Moments later, the thing works fantastic for scaring the bejeezus out of cats. It spews a stream of fog through a nozzle about ten feet out. The first time I ever saw a fog machine it consisted of a water heater and twenty pounds of dry ice. This unit is uses a compound called “fog juice”. This is amazingly compact unit will fill my entire Florida room in around 15 seconds. It has a switch that has to be depressed to emit a jet of the fog material, which means I should be able to foot-operate it. I’m running out of feet.
           The thing was on sale for half price. I was pricing items and investigating new technologies over at the Guitar place. Funny, while in these stores I never bump into any of the musicians I’ve played with in Florida, but come to think of it, that could just be more proof they really do already know it all. Here are the things that interested me most, since I went over the entire store looking for ideas.
           Wireless guitar plugs turn out to require multiple channels. Those are $200. Light shows, the one gimmick I am comfortable with, cost a fortune as well. The simple LED unit I glanced at is $1,000 and all it does is flash a pre-programmed pattern (but see DMX below). I see also that digital recorders are designed to be mini-mixers more suitable for studio than stage. Several other products looked okay, including a new style of speaker cable that matches the back panel of my PA, a plug called a Speakon. I can’t justify the cost on those at $100 each, because the working part is still the same old copper cable.
           I also found a Pearl snare drum, not as fancy as the Tambouline, but only $100. I’ll look for a used one anyway. The traps (pedals) are also in the $100 range. Next time online, I intend to find out what DMX is because I’m getting too many different answers. It is some kind of “sequence controller”, but not a MIDI sequencer. It apparently controls things like your light show, and since they start at $400 I would hope they at least do that.
           Wallace wrote to mention he’ll have no email for a few weeks. Naw, he knows to borrow a laptop or go to a library. I asked if there are terminals on the cruise ship to make sure he checks. That reminded me to go ask for the price to align the new car tires (those cost me back $115) and they want another $60. Am I the only one who remembers when they aligned new tires for you?
           At the traditional contact hour, Marion rang up. Good news all around, they found the house of her dreams. Four bedroom three bathroom. Hey, wasn’t it supposed to be a three bedroom? Yes, but that’s what friends are for. They are actually not exactly in Denver. Remember that four months ago Denver was cow town to us. When we realized how far fate has brought us since she was 15, we’ve decided not to rule out meeting up in Paris or London in the next couple of years. Things are set for the fall but I don’t do winter.
           Thus, I’m now settling in with a coffee and a bowl of my mushroom chili, not for wimps. Trying to make friends with Pudding-Tat again. Where is that new book? Here it is. It don’t get no better. Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z.