Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, May 4, 2008

May 4, 2008


           The cat-fix lady says that Pudding-Tat must arrive in a “plastic cat carrier”. I’ll ask around. I once saw a dude carrying his cat around in a wire cage on a bicycle, much like they do with chickens at the Hong Kong market. But plastic? Won’t the cat suffocate? Just kidding. I must get out to enjoy the Florida sunshine now that OPEC has finally declared American Sundays to be SUV-free. My recent gig is about to buy me that jar of dill weed and another jar of that barf cheese. See, I just knew that someday all those piano lessons from Enid Frobb would pay off.
           By noon we have proven the ancient Bostonian theory that shopping around works best when you have nothing else to do. And a spare bicycle. This jar of dill weed was $2.09. So I just screwed the economy out of $3.00 or 6/7 of a gallon of unleaded regular. And I haven’t even received my Incentive check yet. (Who knows what plots I will connive with that kind of money at my disposal?) With the savings, I purchased a jar of Romano cheese. The label says “aged five months”. I should be handily able to double that. It also says refrigerate after opening, hinting it could be more edible than grated umbrella handles.

           I’m trying to fashion a DVD player stand out of spare parts. As things are, I have to stand away from the microphone and audience to pick the next tune. I need a sturdy device just within reaching distance from my right hand. I’ve got all the big parts from old drum stands, copper pipe, and a chrome curtain rod but I used up all my battery clamps on the lo-hat. It’s too hot to think, so the only logical thing to do is take a nap.
           Now, today was quiet. Oddly, my patio was on a relatively busy side street until four days ago. There was always a neighbor parking or leaving. Always a stranger driving past, a male with severe overbite, major eyeglasses and that east Miami “ga-hunk” look as he rolled over the speed hump outside my door. They were five feet away and could see what you were reading. They are all gone, except for that annoying Cuban on his yellow motorcycle who is running some kind of delivery business mostly evenings and weekends. He’s always got that “I’m just making sure I recognize you.” look on his face.

           At any rate, the new place disallows all rentals unless the owner is also living in the unit. And that street, still five feet away, is hidden by an impenetrable hedge of flowers and almond trees. I’ve been past every few days and it is dead quiet over there once the Canucks head for Drummondville. It being so quiet, other things can now be heard. For example, while reading later this afternoon, I could hear a distant random thump every few minutes. I finally I walked over there to see what was wrong. Nothing. It was the Cuban trying to slam the broken trunk of his car. (He’d slam it. Walk around the car and slam it again, hoping by some miracle it would fix itself. When I went indoors at 8:22 P.M. he had been at it over three hours.)
           Last week, I went to a Big K for batteries, and I met a professional work dodger. She was so good at it I went back out to the truck and got JP to watch the show. The woman worked the jewelry counter, and no matter how you approached she was able to turn away and pretend she was busy. You could walk away but could not spin around fast enough, nor crouch down behind the watch display fast enough, nor sneak up the bathrobe aisle and catch her. She had it down smooth, polished and natural in every degree that would have fooled the overhead cameras.

           At the same market, I saw a device called a “Back-atch-ya”. You hang it in a basketball hoop. When you make a basket, it returns the ball back to the same area of the court you shot from. Works at every angle, but I don’t know how. It is a plastic frame. There was also a bird feeder that was made for suet. Birds that eat suet. Got any suet?
           Trivia. When Edison first learned his phonograph was being used to reproduce music on a juke box, he objected that it debased his invention. (The rest of America didn’t realize the extent of the problem until the Anne Murray era.) It took him twenty years to get over it. Note the parallel with Apple computers? More trivia: there appears to be a laser lightning rod that can be aimed at a cloud and cause the cloud to actively discharge. You watch, within a year a Federal permit will be required. My old stage admonition “Don’t steal my thunder!” will have to be revised.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++