Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 16, 2008

June 16, 2008

           Here’s some rotten lumber. This doesn’t compete with the Shopping Channel for exciting content, but the rules say I must chose the superlative for each day’s picture. This is the most serious damage encountered. This wall is not holding anything up, but I caught it in plenty of time. I’m just surprise that termites didn’t find it. You can see the stud frame and exterior siding. Tin on wood, probably the most ignorant combination you could think of in this climate, but Florida is always up to that task.
           It showed 87 degrees inside by 7:00 A.M. so that cancels any work on the bedroom today. Wallace called from Ontario with great tales of the trip and the border crossing. He had to leave the car with Homeland Security and have someone come and pick him up. He’s bringing half of Canada with him for the trip in around two weeks.
          I need to know, is that cat ever going to stop growing? She now measures 24” snout to snoot and another 7” of tail, making her close to a yard-long hurdle in the hallways. Not only that, she has learned to open the sliding doors by herself. When you close them, latch them, or she waltzes through and lets all the cold leak out. And why won’t she “go” outside like other cats, as Nature intended? There is a hole in the foundation big enough to let Pudding-Tat get under the building and through the utility room. Do I leave it or plug it? She also likes to watch me in the kitchen, even when I’m boiling sweet potatoes and such. Have you ever seen such a cat?
          Let’s review an opportunity. Who remembers the anti-MS support group from a year back? As MS hoped, each party finally went their own direction—but I claim that the very existence of our group forced MS to change the way they sue people. They now go after people one by one, so as far as I’m concerned, we scared ‘em. This left a common bond, the exclusive club of people sued by MS corporation. Well, one of the victims has set up a new company, his alias is “Bonz”. Does not rhyme with “Fonz”.
          He has programmed a new VOiP system that operates at half the price of others. During an early phone call this morning, we went over some details and I’m interested. His main selling point is that he is a technician, not a salesman. Can’t fool me on that one. By coincidence, he is just up in Ocala, around four hours driving. At any rate, because of his statement that he pursued the project “to get away from reliance on MS products”, I’m going to review his proposal. Go to www.vdi.net and you will know as much as I do at this point.
          My goal is to learn enough about how these phones are programmed to come up with my pet telecom project: a phone with a kill button that blocks any call you don’t want, including any calls with “Restricted” or “Unknown number” in the view screen. If you miss a call, tell the caller to use a real phone.
          Isn’t it amazing. People who think I’m “paranoid” about computer records who call me when the chips are down. They’ve got nothing to hide until something goes wrong, then they need my services. That was quick and easy money. I set up a basically untraceable email account for a client. Well, it is traceable—to Bill Gates. I was about to bed down when Jose, the old neighbor came to the door. He needed a letter translated, which took the better part of two hours. After he helped me move the fridge and hide-a-bed inside, of course.
          During this process, the riddle of Tennessee came to light. Jose recognized him as the cat of the neighbor behind his house at the old place. Back that cat goes tomorrow or as soon as possible. Now it makes sense why Tennessee lived inside the hide-a-bed and how he got over here. I just hope after a week of easy living, he wants to stay back at home. He always was too friendly to be a total outdoor critter. Later, because I know that Jose and I talk loudly, I asked Mila if we had bothered her at all. She had not heard a peep. That is good to know.
          Now to tackle that [exterior] door. The design is interdependent at this point. I must put in the door to put in the floor to repair the water damage to build the partitions to put in the stairs and so on. The most convenient spot for the air conditioner is right where the closet should be. I love a challenge.