Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, August 1, 2008

August 1, 2008

           This is a picture of the sandwich shop called “Mile High”. For some reason, when the locals mention it, I keep getting a visual on a pub or night club. It must be a popular place. I drive past it often so maybe I’ll partake. Note the typical late afternoon Florida summer cloud formations. I include this otherwise meaningless jpeg here because some new software is taking up all my time. Read on.
           According to Wallace, a pro also knows when to admit defeat, so I did. Putting up my new sign requires outside help. I crawled upon the roof of the car this morning and gave a good college try and that is too much for an amateur. It requires tools I don’t have, such as a hammer drill and extension ladder. I called back the sign place and implored them to help out. They said yes. [Bob’s Hollywood Signs.]
           While I still have to check it out myself, this blog has spawned a clone. Look for “talesfromhollywoodflorida.blogspot.com” and take your chances. Even though this blog has not yet received the world-wide recognition it deserves, we do have a copycat. It was Will, and he quickly spotted the picture of himself tuning the guitar a few months ago.
           We have a small victory to report. This afternoon I finally located software that at least claims to do what I want. Anybody who uses my computer now has to start a timer. Some might say my difficulty was because I’m not smart enough to construct the right search criteria, but the reality is that even eBay (for what I found) came up with zero results. It was an English company. This has not been an easy assignment.
           The software is a mature product, which backs up your entire operating system even if it has been compromised. An uncomplicated screen saver requiring a password blocks each individual computer from unbilled usage. This block is a standalone application that loads onto every client [computer]. Optionally, a server can be connected to monitor every even and control the entire network. The cost is less than $90 USD.
           I spent most of the working day testing the system, they extend a 20-day free trial. It seems to be what I originally wanted, meaning some dickweed is going to come along and say he knew about it all the time. The software has a dozen unexplained features, such as “Lock Before” and “Lock After” which have to be investigated. I’ve never ordered software from overseas so let us hope that is not another problem.
           Remember, we now have Homeland Security that makes you take off your shoes while behind their backs a thousand illegal immigrants cross the border a day. In current political thinking, stopping the illegals would be “racist”. The media does not mention how things would change if it was Jews sneaking across at midnight.
           An opportunity has come up to sell six cars. A Portuguese repair shop is on the verge of bankruptcy and the owner has to get them off his lot or lose them. We happen to have that many free parking spaces behind the shop. He wants money up front but I don’t think that will happen. I have not seen these cars. They are apparently perfectly restored, including a 1989 Mercedez with only 24,000 miles on it.
           I did not play tonight, just no gumption. Basically I stopped in to say hello. The changes I have to make at the shop will dominate everything until I get it up and running. Wallace came by for a visit later in the afternoon. The heat is back up to usual so he went to Flanigan’s to escape the sunlight. That’s the Flanigan’s nearby that I consider a restaurant, not a night spot. If you ever catch me in a restaurant on a valuable Friday night, you’ll know I’ve become too middle class.