Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 2, 2008

August 2, 2008

           Here’s a guitarist I met named Mike. His set list caught my attention, although the tunes we would have in common are likely material he vaguely remembers from his early lesson days. “Brown-eyed Girl”, “I’m A Believer” and a few of the dreadful stock numbers like “Mary Jane”. We’ll exchange song lists, there is more information later.
           I’m the first to admit I don’t know how Windows is programmed. That does not mean I am unaware of when an install rewrites the registry. It took half the day, but I went through every option in the menus for the new Internet software. There may be a reason I could not find the product when I first looked. The company cannot be found easily unless you search on “Bill Operated Internet Kiosk”. Once there, I found many interesting things.
           One is a system that accepts bills and lets the user online for a pre-determined rate. They look like cigarette machine money mechanisms. Maybe that would be okay for when you don’t want to hire staff, but I don’t think I’d leave a cash box in a remote location no matter how well it is bolted in place. I’ll stick with the software solution, as the bill accepting devices cost $400 each and are quite bulky.
           I mentioned the system registry, if you are not sure what that is, don’t worry. While checking how the Internet billing software worked, I noticed it wrote quite a number of values to the registry and now I cannot reset the options. Even removing the software in safe mode never allows the setup wizard to run again. This fascinates me, how this type of programming is done. I’ll eventually get it, even if I have to reinstall the entire system.
           Beyond that, I like the program. It is actually two units, one that works on each PC and a master unit that controls the overall process. I never did like the terms “client” and “server” because they can be mistaken for the wrong things unless used in combination. “I booted my client.” or “I booted my server” are not always the right things to say. The manuals are translated from Chinese. They are quite readable if you know just a little of the grammar. I believe I will order this product early next week.
           Art was in today, this is the reticent database programmer from the shop. He gave me a couple of pointers on compilers. Oddly, I don’t know how to run my own programs. Back in my day (ha ha), we didn’t really run our programs. We gave the program to a clerk, and they ran it. When PCs came along, I was always able to find a pre-written program that accomplished the task. Dozens of good ideas have fizzled over the years, but now I’m ready to program again.
           I read the spin-off blog this morning. Will is writing about interesting people he knows. Here’s hoping he knows an awful lot of them. I know I’d run out of material in two weeks if I tried that theme. I’ll suggest he maybe write a blog about each person, rather than just list them. It is an interesting theme.
           Marion called from Colorado. Sounding most chipper, we caught up on everything and agree the best times we ever had was the winter trips to Oregon. Deserted motel, deserted beach and so far away from civilization. Oh, we know it isn’t there anymore, but the memories are. She has enough room for up to ten people now and reports it was 111 degrees y’day. I’m ready to take a part time job to get enough money to go visit if that’s what it takes.
           Give me a good book. I stopped at Trader John’s and got a hardcover on inventions through the ages. All cooling systems are on full blast and I’m plunked in my easy chair. Wallace is gone for an ocean swim. I wish I had the energy of these youngsters. No word on the six cars, but I had better plan ahead for a replacement on the Taurus. A Mercedes sounds adequate. A Mercedes with a trailer hitch. I’ve called the guy three times and left messages. My Portuguese is rusty, but it sounds like he’s got a 560 SEL 4 door. It is an ’89 but it only has 24,000 miles on it. Can I be your chauffeur?
           Later. This is backup day, when I also check the quality of the backups already made. Houston, we’ve had a problem. [Author’s note: that is what he REALLY said.] There are blogs outright missing from all three locations, the original, the backup and the offsite backup. They are within the publication range, so I will check next week if they are already posted. That brings up the second problem. The database being used to track which blogs are already posted is gone and I cannot find it. That was one massive file and it is poof, gone! What, you ask, a database to track this blog. Yes. Those who have been following along know this is just 1% of the available material. Most of the blog is still hand written.
           Even later. I biked over to the Megabite CafĂ© (shouldn’t that be Terabite?) and enjoyed my $3 coffee. One of the guitarists did such a familiar song set that we traded email info and we’ll try this again in two weeks. He seemed shocked that somebody over 30 knew anything by the Stone Temple Pilots. Actually, I listen to that band hoping they might some day do something original. They try to sound original by using rapid fire riffs that don’t match the slower character of the lyrics.
           It was really the bike ride that got me out tonight, anyway I dropped in at a couple of known Karaoke joints. To give you an idea of how bad things must have been going, when I walked in the door I was personally requested to sing. Then they took down my contact information and asked me to sing again. There is something to be said about the intensity with which you do things. When I went to leave, they offered me free beer to sing even more. If there had been just one single good-looking available young female on the entire premises, I might have gone for it. Sigh.
           The trivia for today is the best kind, the totally random facts I pick up from reading. Did you know the science of forestry originated in France? It didn’t take long to see the relationship once I read that a single warship in the 1600s required 1,000 oak trees. That requires conservation. But America should be okay today because gas dropped back to $3.60 per gallon, ha, ha. There was traffic all over the place.