Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

September 2, 2008


           Punching down the bread. This is the homemade loaves that make the place smell so great. Good, because I’ve been spending most of the days in the shop, still working on my billing/timing network. That component I replaced (Ethernet adapter) on Peggy’s old HP computer is still giving false readings. It kept me busy all day. During the reboots, I had time to surf the net. You know, time to do what all the “experts” do with their time.
           A couple of things to note. First, Wallace’s brand of car, the Malibu, has taken an entire array of best categories, including (I think it said) safety, retaining value and design. By coincidence, on the way to morning coffee day before y’day, Wallace mentioned he never saw any Malibus on the road here and I nodded he was right about that. Pure coincidence? Or that people around here don’t know what value is. I’m reminded of that passage by the 1700’s English traveler who encountered a people so primitive that “they did not know what gold was and would not take it in trade”. That would be Florida. Go anywhere in Florida and try to pay in gold. Outside of jewelers, I may be the only person who accepts it.

           A dude came in today needing $30, so I bought a bag of gear he was selling. Ahem, got myself a $120 security cam power transformer, a $60 Linksys router/hub and around $280 worth of cables. In a rare move, I bought a Popular Mechanics magazine. It must have been four years since, because that is the cycle in which they report balloons and blimps. Sure enough. The articles are conservative making me surprised they had tips on how to get free WiFi access (at airport terminals where the very cheapest have begun turning off their wall sockets to prevent you from charging your batteries).
           I’m not totally against airports, although behind Ticketmaster, I consider airports the most legalized mob fronts left in America. The reason is that I have yet to see anyone in a public setting getting any real work done on a laptop. No, checking in at your office and your email don’t count as serious business activities. As far as I am concerned people who use laptops in public are nothing but showoffs. And that is coming from a person who actually had a laptop fifteen years before you ever heard of them. It was a Tandy 1100FD. If I, with my powers of concentration, could not get anything done in 1985, don’t try to tell me somebody in a Starbucks is getting any work done. They are busy, yes, but that is my point.

           Thanks to everyone for the avalanche of advice on the crumbly bread. We will try a different approach, but it was not the water or the lard because the bread became less crumbly after sitting overnight. Wallace now shops very closely for the correct brands. This is not as simple as you think, because many of the labels are purposely confusing. There are four different types of milk and another four evaporated milk. Only the correct one is welcome here, as in Carnation with Vitamin D, the blue label. Skim milk is not milk, as Mike at the shop puts it, you could boil your old tennis shoes in water and come up with that.
           Speaking of overstock, Mike has 70 laptops that need selling. Since things are slow, I’ve suggested allowing me to advertise them and collect a small commission on each sale. If he agrees, and I think my idea is doubly wise because it is truly hard to find a place with a selection when you want a used unit. Who knows, I may learn a thing about laptops in the process.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++