Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 3, 2008

           This is the hardware store I mentioned last day. The city is picking on him for putting displays out on the sidewalk. He pointed out that it is his own sidewalk, the city property does not begin until some twelve feet away from his windows. It’s not but best photo, but you can see the wheelbarrow planter and the lawn furniture. For the record, I had a better angle out the window as I pulled ahead for the green light, but some ugly chick got in the way so I dared not snap a picture.
           Occasionally, things go right. Thanks to that, and my expensive meter, the first card I replaced picked up and I was back in business. This is Peggy’s old computer, now completely redone as a 10 GB mini-server. All the parts have been replaced, but it is the genuine original. Each reset gives me a half-hour of nothing to do, so I follow up on research.
           Today I looked at government welfare eligibility. How does one go about qualifying for free money. Well first, you learn to lie a lot and that applies to both sides of the desk. There is probably no such thing as an honest person on welfare. Furthermore, you may as well consider the person doling out the welfare as also a recipient. All that has to happen for anyone to agree with this is to read the rulebook. The entire process encourages the worst type of behavior.
           Then I re-looked at the router problem of last year. This is where I could not discover why two routers on the same channel could not see each other, but an antenna would pick up both routers as distinct transmitters. Some may say it is obvious, but they have not tried to figure it out from scratch. It now seems to be a firmware problem. I have instructions on how to make one router into a repeater. If I can do that, I can make them talk to each other. This is technology I do not know and will soon be asking more dumb questions.
           Pudding-Tat, fearless protector of our property, has killed a rat. See that Millie-Belle, not just woof-woof. All rat-kind will pay the ultimate price for invading these premises. Beware ye rats. This here is private turf. Yes, I have photos. No, I will not be publishing them here.
           One of the local mysteries is how Wallace can eat my cooking and not gain weight. Upon closer analysis, he is not a big eater. He’ll say how wonderful the cooking smells but can’t eat a full plate. Aha, I thought, I’ve seen this before. In my younger days I shared a place in college and in my mid-twenties I shared many a place with musicians. They like to snack and often won’t make up a balanced meal from things in the fridge. At most, they’ll make a sandwich and in Wallace’s case, a very thin sandwich. The solution to getting them to eat right was to make one extra step and instead of storing leftovers in separate containers, make up a plate that can be microwaved. I’ll let you know how that goes.
           Call it “whiz kid awareness day” but sooner or later everyone gets an ample demonstration of the difference between a brat and somebody who knows what is going on. The computer crash of this day provided the facts, but I will wait until another blog toward that destination gives you the descriptions. Did I word that right? Hang on. Yes, I did. No names mentioned, but Wallace did leave a can of Budweiser in the fridge and I helped myself. Wallace did comment on the number of cables and spare parts strung out across the living room to salvage the files.
           Later, Eric came over to let us know that Holly has returned. Probably for breakfast if you ask me. He is super concerned about hurricanes, but you know, for the expense of following all the “official” guidelines, you could really just rent a motel and live off the vending machines in the hallway.
           As a bicycle rider, I’ve picked up my quota of brambles. The big toe on my right foot (I ride with flip-flops) kept annoying me. Yet every probe with the tweezers could not find the sore spot. I finally got out the magnifying glass and did my own Olympic contortions. Duh, okay. I’ve got seven tiny thorns in the same spot.