Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September 24, 2008

           The bicycle is proving ideal for getting at those parking lots. I can place 100 cards in just a few moments. My reasoning is the cards are better than flyers because (I figure) 99% of people open the driver’s door with their left hand. I tuck the card into the glass but overlapping the door frame, where the right hand naturally picks it up. And where it can’t fall down the glass. Don’t you hate that?
           I hope placing these cards is legal. If it isn’t, it will take a very healthy cop with his own bicycle to get near me, ha! There is a tale about the parking lot in today’s picture. It is empty. This is the very same property expropriated by the city using Emminent Domain law. (Did I spell that right? It isn’t in the Big Dictionary.) This is where the owner didn’t want to sell, but the city proved the land was needed for the public good. Well, a lot of good a vacant three storey building does anyone.
           As you expect, I have all the parking lots from downtown out to Park Avenue [just over one mile] mapped out in a route. That takes in 200 cars. Including the huge city parking lot, where the library gives free Internet service. That’s “free”, American style. You have to be a member, wait until a terminal is free, and you get one hour. During the last 15 minutes, a counter appears on screen that you cannot disable. It is the only part of the library packed all day and I just need a few people as dissatisfied with that system as I am. I have the only true “office atmosphere” in town.
           It is doubtful I can make today into anything interesting. I worked on the sign, which demanded extra thought to make sure there were enough letters. Parking became “in behind” and “at back” due to a shortage of the letter “r”. Worse yet, I forgot it was already Wednesday since I was so far behind on everything. The sign goes out on the sidewalk tomorrow, ready or not. In the past, I’ve put out unfinished signs and gotten even more attention. You are promised a picture, probably tomorrow. Later today, I did place the sign outside and it easily survived the rainstorm. Seven layers of paint, you know.
           When I ordered, the business cards, they contained only advertising, not the standard contact information. These raised a few brows at the print shop. The staff was astounded when I explained. None of them had ever heard of using business cards for such a purpose. That, folks, is what working for a living does to your brain. When you work in a box, you think in one.
           Wallace is looking into the master bathroom fan. The vent, wiring, and parts seem to be there, but it does not work. He’ll find and fix the thing which is great. I would never get around to it. The computer repair I needed set me back $103 in total. More than I spend on my car, and I get computer parts wholesale. I’m getting to be quite good at retro-fitting XP into Win98 machines, of which we are again seeing another surge. Within a few restrictions (such as a Pentium chip), the upgrade can be done and is worth the effort in terms of performance.