Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 29, 2008

November 29, 2008

           I sure do miss the famous Argus [camera]. The only response I can get from them is that they don’t make it any more. This photo is at the Hollywood library, taken by a $10 camera called “Aries”. It will take 25 very good quality photos and even has a small display screen. Amazing technology. The downside is the camera requires a special USB cable and installing the driver will knock out any other camera drivers you had installed. Another annoyance: the camera modular window stays on top and cannot be minimized. Still, for ten bucks…
           Call me grumpy, but I came in from the library, made a sandwich from the last slice of ham and turned my back. The cat got it. That, and the fact that the local library does not have a single book on the operation of Karaoke as a business. I want a step-by-step manual of what to look for and what to avoid. They have lots of video tapes on Karaoke, but that is not what I want. If you look closely, you can see a lot of empty shelf space. That’s because this is the non-fiction section. If you want to read schlock like Dean Koontz, the fiction area is crammed past the rafters.
           Speaking of Koontz, he has another on the best sellers list. Twice smart, I’m not going to chance it. We already know whatever the monster is, it ain’t really dead after chapter one. I noticed Sue Grafton is back, with “T is for Trespass”. Hasn’t she used up the alphabet yet? X is for Xotzil? Sadly, for Koontz, there is no end in sight.
           Being consistent, I read up on the uses and operation of a table saw. Among the cons, apparently one has to rig up a different fence [feeding guide] for each different cut. I looked around for small saws once I noticed 4” and 6” blades were available. Such saws are outrageously priced, in some cases over $500. Question, why are all wooden birdhouses made of scrap lumber and look like it? I want a birdhouse taken to the next level.
           In case you have not picked up on it, today was slow enough to give me time to do thinking, a specialty in Florida. Here’s what I came up with. Look at blogs, such as this one. There appear to be limited resources for advertising, and most of them are labor-intensive. Like designing SEO [Search Engine Optimization] routines or leaving comments and links on other blogs. That is so lame I’m surprised it is offered as advice. Besides, it you actually do manage to devise a winning SEO scheme, the owner can block you from their database.
           This made me climb out of the box and think about Sudoku. It went from nothing to a necessity in millions of newspapers. In the classifieds, I can find used cars, massage parlors and garage sales. Isn’t that much the same as when I was delivering papers when I was 8 years old? Isn’t it time for a change? I should write to some huge paper and propose a new section for blogs. The ad states the blog title and a quick description of what to expect. It would be cheap advertising compared to the alternatives. And of course, I have a blog they can experiment on for free. For a year. And provided mine is always at the top of the listing. WHO: “Written Headline Optimization”. You might say.