Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 4, 2008

December 4, 2008

           This is the practically untouched seed bell. Several theories are around as to why the song birds have not found it yet. Wallace says it may be too high, I think it is in too open an area. Over the next few days we will experiment with different locations that address both ideas. This is a large seed bell, around the size of a melon. I’ve also been putting out grapefruit rinds which disappear fast.
           I didn’t make it to the open mic with Arnel tonight. The car threw the fan belt which I retrieved and put back on. But what a noise, reminiscent of that meowing sound of a far-off studded truck tire spinning on ice. It is too dark to research it tonight. I parked the car and got my tools together. I’m terrible for having tools in different drawers all over the place. But I get things done, for sure.
           This is also the night that replaces Ron’s Karaoke show at Jimbo’s. I arrived early, which was a good thing since I got the chance to help out with equipment problems. As well, that stifles any rumor that I’m jealous. Having seen many an opening night, I was glad to be able. The crowd was a peculiar mix of locals, some who ran their own shows elsewhere. Lots of hefty women in skin-tight outfits. I almost thought I was in Miami.
           Before I left early, I sang “Spiders & Snakes” and afterward received what I believe is the first legit compliment on my vocals. This was much different than some dame telling you you’re good-looking. You just know when they are joking. This was the real thing. I’ve been watching the vocal performances of five bands and learned they are not so hot.
As well, I’m tempted to look at a part-time job. A library near Boca is seeking volunteers to teach beginner’s computer courses. Tyrone, something. Tyrone Shoelaces? It is a long round trip, but I’ve got the word that it is the one way to get in with the library despite a hiring freeze so bad, people are wearing sweaters on the beach.
           Pictures these days are from the new $9 digital camera. It is a few parsecs ahead of the old Argus at only half the price. To anyone out there who uses camera software with a driver called MyDSC, beware. If you have any other imaging device attached to your computer, installing MyDSC can knock it out of commission. It overwrites other camera software and clobbers your printer and scanner. Right before you have to copy a pile of government paperwork, too.
           I brushed up on the July 20 Plot, that’s the bomb attempt on Hitler’s life. Staffenberg, that’s the name of the assassin. I cannot imagine how complicated the planning was. Back then, you didn’t just cut off the head, you had to replace the arms and legs, too. The Communist takeover after the Russian revolution taught the world what happens in a power vacuum. Germany had a huge militarized police force (the SS) standing around. This movie has become a must-see around here.