Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

December 3, 2008

           This “kodak” is JP at the dining table. The significance is he is the first person to crash overnight in the spare bedroom. The picture is taken without a flash with the new $10 Aries, which rapidly replaced several other cameras I have for sheer ease of use. It is nearly instant to bring into action and the buttons are not “fiddley” (an English term I found on the Internet).
           I use “Kodak” at a generic term to describe any face-on, grainy photo. I got my first camera when I was around 12, it was one of those plastic jobs with the built in flash cone. Like anything else in my days at home, it fell into disuse through lack of money to operate the thing. It had no focus and I wrecked my first roll of film by taking it out of the camera. Why would I do that? I’ll tell you.
           I put the roll in like the directions said, and advanced the lever to where a “1” appeared in the little view hole. But the number was upside-down. I’d screwed up. Since I lived at home with my mother and father, there was nobody to ask. If you think that is dumb, plainly you have not listened to anything I’ve told you about my family. What? Ask and get slapped in the head for being “so goddam stupid” and because “your supposed to know”. (Not the contraction for “you are”, but “your” supposed to know. Don’t say nothing or you get slapped again.) They’ll just break the camera trying to “fix” it anyway. Oddly enough, I still managed to save some ancient photos taken in those days.
           The candy man, the fellow that has the gumball machines in our shop was by. He’s never seen a change-maker like what I’ve described, but he knows people. I need to team up with someone who has a zillion spare parts. I’ll bet you it will be very hard to find the program that operates these machines, even though the code is harmless without the hardware.
           After an hour or more of discussion, I discovered that Wallace was not against renting out his own room. I assumed that because my own room is full of small valuable articles. The wrong person could have a field day before I noticed anything missing. In fact, he does want to rent, and he may have found a Canadian couple to take it. I like that arrangement. If anything goes wrong, as has been known to happen, they have to go back to Canada by May. Perfect, since that is plenty of time for me to arrange the financing package. We will be looking into that today.
           I still can’t believe that he got $400 worth of free tires more than six months after he bought that car. He also said I could not tell you about the waitress did when he didn’t tip enough money so I won’t say anything about that but some guys have all the luck. Remember, you didn’t hear it from me.
           Somehow the fan belt on the Taurus has worked itself loose. It better not be that water pump I just installed, since car manufacturers are fanatics about positioning such things where you can’t get at them.