Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 27, 2009

           Another exciting picture of the yard. This is the result of a week of Wallace going in there and trimming with a pair of tweezers. Note you can see the individual bushes and the fence. He has aligned the concrete trim which formerly could not even be seen. He notes the soil is sandy and does not retain moisture. Even so, look at how dense the forest grew on it’s own. The French-Canadiens seem to love what he did.
           Trivia. The South Pole book is finally getting to some science by page 200. Have you heard of “dawn chorus”? I have, but no clue wat is the static noise heard between radio broadcast channels. It is known to hobbyists as “sferics”, short for “atmospherics” and subdivided into “hiss”, “tweeks”, “bonks” and “clinks”. It acts in phase with the auroras except for bonks, which are distant lightning events.
           We now have a functional Karaoke laptop. The remote monitor is still a problem, but something will come in the shop. Remember, Fred was a TV repairman first. Remind me to rig up a curtain so I cannot be watched while I am doing computer work. You see, too many people whose capabilities end at e-mail and surfing cannot imagine anything more complicated going on in the world. It is sad, but they honestly believe my life is as idle and unmotivated as their own. It took me all day to get a few hours work done.
           Teresa came by, who is beginning to remind me of Julie K. As we get to know each other, views come out. We are both heavily influenced by our backgrounds, although I will often mention mine and she never says a word of hers. I find that fact interesting. Of the educated who pose as ordinary folk and brazenly dare to mingle with the working class, she has a natural resentment.
           It is impossible not to notice that Teresa will mechanically side with the underdog. She does not allow for legality, fault or causation. If an underdog does not exist, she will create one. I am familiar with how this behavior is learned. I know it can, if there is motivation, be unlearned. There is no motivation here.
           The biggest thing with Teresa is feminism. I thought feminism was a cause of the 1980s that petered out as the proponents married off to the competition. Ha-ha, I just got that myself, “Petered out”. Does divorce make feminism retro-active?
           I don’t know if the issues have changed, but they do seem to hinge on matters, such as jobs or rights, that are not evenly spread. They never, fairness being an opinion, will be. Forgive my dunceness, but I still cannot, for the life of me, think of one single right I have that women do not. No, I’m not being sarcastic.
           [This is a repeat, but that is in order here. I have no “rights” in the same sense as feminists don’t. I am a single white male with a non-English sounding last name. I have to make my own way and own decisions against the same faceless bureaucracy. The so-called “breaks” some seem to think I’ve gotten in this life were in reality hard fought uphill battles, most of which I lost against the undeserving but entrenched. I possess nothing of any material value that was handed to me, including opportunities or the supposed benefits of a male-dominated system. I don’t dispute that it is a man’s world, that is, if you happen to be a man who is tall, handsome, rich, young, athletic, talented and well-connected.]
           So, while I am very tolerant of the viewpoint, I can’t sympathize. For every instance of unfairness to women, I’ve got an example of the opposite. Lynn MacLean got the programming job and why? She had never touched a computer, I had a degree. There were only two applicants. She was a woman. Until she got that job, I had never noticed she was also a weekend stripper at the ferry landing. But you see, that makes her the underdog.