Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28, 2009

           Both Wallace and I have mild flu symptoms. In addition, he has heartburn but that is expected if you eat in restaurants. I’m making pot shoulder roast with potatoes and carrots. No, we don’t have a big home-made supper each day much as we would probably like to but we do have extremely high quality leftovers. We should rent the room to a maid. Here’s a statistic. When Wallace is here, we go through ten pounds of boiled potatoes a week. Three times the original estimate.
           The Taurus is today’s headliner. There is an electrical problem and I confirm that the properly seated spark plug wires [really do] pop off by themselves. The plan is to take it up to Jimbo’s tomorrow and see if we can do a backyard repair. Failing that, it will be just over a mile from Bill & Dick’s [highly reputable lo-cost mechanic garage]. My biggest fear is the timing chain. You have to pull those sideways motors to get at it.
           The author, Sidney Sheldon, is back today by coincidence [to his audio tape I just finished]. This time, a novel I’d heard of years ago, “Windmills of the Gods”. His writing is vastly superior to his narration. Let me qualify that. While I’ve never read and listened to both editions of a given author, I know the difference between both styles and there is a reason most books aren’t meant to be read out loud. Here’s trivia. Did you know Sheldon is the same writer you see scroll by the credits at the end of that ancient TV series, “I Dream of Jeannie”?
           First, a retraction. My second-hand theory about directions at the South Pole is disproven by subsequent information. Still, that some method is being used is a valid assumption. What's that about assumptions? Oh, please, they meant that about people like, well, you know. Besides, this blog is full of errors, but I don't retract unless the information is blantantly false. Ordinarily misleading means nothing here.
           The author, Sidney Sheldon, is back today by coincidence. This time, a novel I’d heard of years ago, “Windmills of the Gods”. His writing is vastly superior to his narration. Let me qualify that. While I’ve never read and listened to both editions of a given author, I know the difference between both styles and there is a reason most books aren’t meant to be read out loud. Here’s trivia. Did you know Sheldon is the same writer you see scroll by the credits at the end of that ancient TV series, “I Dream of Jeannie”?
           Sheldon plain likes to write; I view writing as imparting order and the condition of permanence to thought. I don’t know if I could produce pure fiction. Never tried. But just you wait. Who was it that said TV would produce a global village? Marshall McLuhan, I think. He was certainly right about the village idiot part. I say the Internet turned it into a bipolar condo committee with a crack-smoking security guard whose overweight single parent sister is a telemarketer.
           By mid-afternoon, I have another batch of word-sync files ready. The process involves such a number of skill sets that I’m not to worried about any competition for a while. Quite a while. I’ll likely run a few through the PA by the weekend. Jimbo’s is about to become the only live Karaoke testing studio in town. I can’t wait to try it because it already sounds better than most aftermarket MIDI tracks. If you knew how it was created, it has to.
           Taking a deserved afternoon break, I read more Sheldon. He certainly follows the Capote formula for intertwining sub-plots, always exactly three deep. Sheldon’s characters could never work for the CIA nowadays. Their haloes would give them away even if their names didn’t. Example: Harry Lantz. (Get it?) I can guess why the book was never a movie—the central female character is not divorced, gay or better educated than her ex. Although she may have been the first housewife in Kansas to earn a PhD. in Romanian history.