Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 22, 2009

           This is a temporary photo, I’m certain something of greater importance will happen on a beautiful and rare cloudless day like today. But meanwhile let this remind anyone who thinks our yard is small that the trimmings just filled up this dumpster mighty quickly. There’s more and you are welcome to put it to the test. And the back room is still for rent. (Later, the picture stays. It is a nice dumpster.)
           More music, but this is technical if you want to skip this paragraph. I’ve made an unpleasant discovery. Lyric editing programs can destroy the lyric track you have of any file containing any portion of the same file name. There are dozens of versions of “Folsom Prison Blues” on the Internet. I had them labeled sequentially trying to find the best sound. I changed one word, and now none of them have any lyrics. This is more evidence that finding true lyric software is going to be another uphill battle.
           “Rhapsody in Blue” is famous. Gershwin is famous. So I finally sat down and listened to three versions of this piece, alert for the “wailing sax”. Sorry if I offend anyone but this is not my idea of good music. Every soloist in the band takes a kick at the can. Running up and down atonal scales but never settling into a melody. They are all over the place, god sakes, can’t those people find a good note and play it for a moment or two? Rhapsody means roughly “great joy”, which is what I felt when they finally stopped torturing their instruments.
           I could be grouchy because my coffee maker is on the fritz. Time to invest in a good one, and that is today’s trivia. What is the largest factor in whether your drip coffee maker can produce a consistent brew? It has to do with water temperature. The nemesis of good coffee is variable water temperature and home drip coffee machines are considered the worst. The water-heating coil runs under the burner part, then up a stem to the bucket, causing uneven output. That just made me think, I wonder if that is why truck stop machines have separate “brew” and “warm” buttons. Could be.
           Still, I find drip coffee superior to any other method, barring a few complicated gadgets with springs. I’ll help myself to a second cup and comment on the “Sopranos”, which I’ve finished viewing. According to Mike, the “Sopranos” does leave everything hanging. He was really into that series and almost threw his shoe at the TV. My prediction is that Meadow (the daughter) walks into the cafe late and sees the gunmen, she screams, and in the ensuing fracas, everybody gets whacked except Tony (the godfather).
           Several hours later, I listened to “Rhapsody in Blue” once more. Same conclusion: it is not music to my ears. I could slink in there and tune a set of bagpipes without anyone noticing. No wonder the Nazis thought they had nothing to fear from America. I got twenty bucks says whoever used to dance to that jazz cacophony never learned a new dance since.
           I dropped into G’s Place, where the only personality of note is Alex. Ah, but what a personality! Reminds me a lot of myself. She mentioned she was 19, which is good as I could easily have mistaken her for 20, even 21. I was scouting the place for atmosphere. I’m cautious of playing empty rooms but Alex assures me it was an unusually quiet evening. Still, there were a few people there who wanted to sing. I picked up on that. The selections on the juke box show a blues-rock clientele.
           News from North Carolina. Teresa says there are available jobs for Quickbooks people, indicating they still have an economy in Wilmiewood. If you know what I mean. I’ve noticed recent advertising for cheap furniture from North Carolina listed as “cancelled orders”. That is odd, since the big places don’t start building anything until it is paid for. Learn Quickboolks. Trust me, if you stayed awake in high school, you already know much more about Quickbooks than you think. (On the other hand, if any of you slept through class, and since we are talking your careers, let’s pretend there was no recent mention of a dumpster.)
           News from Wallace. He reports good health with a few nagging symptoms, all of which would disappear in the warm Florida weather. Across the thousands of miles, I remind Wallace that I have lived in both places and I know it is difficult to leave certain things behind. I also know it is an illusion that it is cheap to live where it is cold in the winter. Here, you can go out every day without a car. If a person was frugal, you can live well in Florida for $15 a day. Wallace, get down to Florida.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++