Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30, 2009

           It’s a dragonfly came to visit me at the Publix bicycle rack. My entymology is a little rusty, but no doubt this has some name like the tiger dragonfly. You know how I love people who name one animal or plant after another.
           Carlos and Jay crashed overnight in complete comfort. Wallace returned from an early trip to Panera to find them feasting on pancakes and sausages. He said he likes to see that. (Well, who doesn’t? I just need to find a woman who can cook.) Jay is the dude I met several months ago but he just showed up again y’day.
           For a lark, we jammed for a half hour. He is a guitarist and vocalist. Since both he and Carlos repeatedly complimented my bass playing, I have to wonder what they were thinking when I told them I was trying to form a group. Jay is traveling north to visit a gal he knows with bipolar something or other. So maybe he’ll be back sooner than he realizes.
           He described some of her symptoms. Flying off the handle, forgetting she made promises, constantly needing reassurance you love her, and so on. Now remember, I am old school when it comes to such mind problems. Funny, I know women that were completely spoiled brats who exhibit exactly the same “symptoms” whenever they want to get away with something. They tend to surround themselves with those who can see no further than said “bipolar” causes for their poor conduct. And they call anyone who doesn’t buy their act “heartless”. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve been around people who would definitely by today’s standards be rated bipolor, but who definitely knocked off the crap the moment they saw I was not buying into it.
           Today on the job we built shelves, worked on the computer, changed a watch battery and actually got a few shoes repaired. I know Alfredo is amused at the changes since I arrived, although I still manage mess up now and again. Like making two left soles this morning, but I won’t mention that. Besides, another pair came in later that needed two rights. Amazing, really.

           Theresa in Camp Wilmie, we made your tuna casserole for supper. That's the recipe torn out of your coffee table magazine. We added a hint of garlic, being that the pets don’t seem to mind, and who else is around here? Well, there’s Carlos who came back after supper, so he’ll be crashing here again. We watched the video of the “Cocaine Cowboy” and the opening ceremonies of the Chinese Olympics last year.
           The reason for staying indoors is the constant rain. Whenever it stays for weeks on end, some people say it means no hurricanes this year, others say it means severe weather is on the way. All I know is it has been raining longer than any time since I got here. It keeps the days cool. It gives me a chance to cruise through the German CDs, and I’m on lesson 3 (of 10). If the pace continues, I should have around a 300 word vocabulary before too long.
           The shoe database. It is coming along fine and I’m learning Filemaker. It has some of the same report defects as MS Access, mainly that fussy layout that will not simply print a report. You have to spend far too much time fine-tuning it. Not one of the “report templates” is suitable for a quick and dirty report, but they sure do look nice. As with Access, I wish they had spent a fraction of the time wasted on the pretty colors on a simple command that printed all fields the same size as they are in the files. (Instead, each field is automatically around thirty characters wide and has to be shortened, which means you have to shorten and redistribute the labels as well, and so on down the line.)
           Last, who remembers Epinion, the site where I review products? Look me up, just do a Google on “veryatlantic”, that’s me. I quit doing reviews when I somehow forgot my password around a year ago. I finally reset it, and what do you know, 6 thousand people have read my reports and I’ve got stellar ratings. And a whole $63, but I can’t take out any until the balance hits $100. Still, that makes me finally a professional Internet publisher. Neener, neener.

[Author's note 2015-06-30: My stint as an Internet publisher did not work out. The explanation is that in those early days, it was not widely known that the major determinant of "quality" was the almighty hit counter. It was wiser to produce schlock content and focus on SEO (search engine) optimization. It does not matter if a posting is wrong or terrible, if it has the highest hit count, that attracts even more hits. My works of art did not stand a chance.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++