Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 5, 2009

June 5, 2009

           Look very close and you will see the palm tree growing on the roof. Wallace first noticed it but we don’t have a ladder capable of getting up there. What’s that TV show about the world after people disappear? That's what this neighborhood looks like in the summer. Should I call out the film crew? Or do they already know that most of the scrappy places around here are just abandoned real estate. The plant in question is the lighter green-colored big leaves just left of dead center above the corner of the building.
           The rains have returned. That means plenty of lightning storms, knocking out the traffic signals around town. Strange, is it not, that they still refuse to build signals immune to the bolts? Florida is the lightning capital of the USA but that is supposed to be for idiots who run around in the open with metal clubs during the storms. (There are few things more stereotyped than old men who “enjoy” golf.)
           The weather report from North Carolina is much the same. Wet. Theresa called to check in (hello Wilmieville) and yes, my phone is working. I was indoors listening to customer complaints and informing people on the telephone that I get paid to talk. My equipment shows signs of wear and tear just a few weeks into my new schedule. I have to go in there and do a major wipe-down tomorrow. Weekends have become precious again.
           One of the free services I offer is to put any number on the no-call list, and I had plenty to do. Even Fred’s numbers were not there. I am the first proponent that no party should be allowed to call any private phone without permission, and I have issues with the few percent of people who say they don’t care. If they don’t care, they should STFU because technically they won’t care if they don’t get the calls, right? They are making a case for the robot dialers in court, and life rough for the majority who do not like interruptions.
           The Danelectro [electric bass] underwent surgery, the Fred working the soldering iron. In the end, we had to use a soldering gun. It was pure luck the wiring was long enough and the hollow space large enough to get in there with such an implement.
           My photographer, Degbert, has disappeared. Quite the change from his gung-ho replies a week ago. He’ll now emerge at some inconvenient time and try to pick up where things left off. I did not pay tonight, as you know, first Fridays are always a judgment call, although I dropped by to see. The joint was empty. But remember, I love Jimbos and Jimbos loves me. So don't try to steal my gig.
           Sammy the barkeep has a pile of 45s and 33s that look in nearly new condition. They are clearly stamped and have lots of Elvis original tunes. I’m going to price them out. Some of them bear a marking “recorded in 1957”. In fact, they look so new I’m afraid to play them just to check them out. He has around 20-25 all told, without the original jackets, but about as original as you can get.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++