Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

September 16, 2009

           An outstanding day to appreciate the reconnection of running water. Like many public corporations artificially protected from tort liability, there can be insane delays. On the other hand, the Florida hurricane emergency squads have the option to perform feats. I came home and luxuritated in a twenty-minute shower. Others were not so advantaged, for today’s photo, with the semi-famous tenement in the background, is another example of Florida rapid response. In this case, it was for a motorcycle rider who tried to beat the Southbound up on Johnson.

           [Author's note 2014-09-16: That above paragraph is confusing. What happened is the house was without water. I'm saying the delay in getting it working is because you can't sue the city for taking their time. But I do compliment the emergency squads once they spring into action. The ambulance you see was from a motorcycle accident, a biker who tried to beat the train four blocks north of where they are picking up the pieces.]

           Strong stomachs take hold. It requires time for a train to stop and they found half his torso just north of Hollywood Blvd, near center of this jpeg. I hesitated to get any closer, this blog being pretty much a family show. A family like yours, I mean. My family would automatically pretend it was their business to side with the underdog and blame the engineer. Most of these few details came from Alexis, the babe at G’s Place, which is just to the right side of this view.

           On the way home, I stopped back at the Octopus (Octopus’ Garden) to see the open mic. Genie was an hour late getting started and the drummer did not show, fancy that. Nor did practically anybody else. I like Genie but organized confusion is not my breakfast. I know I am stuck with no vocalist again but the day is drawing closer when I will just do it myself. I’ve also noticed that while my act is in continual evolution, hers has not changed a bit.
           An article on nanotubes always gets my attention. Fortune Small Business reports a company called Nanocomp stopped a bullet with four sheets of the material. The real reason the report intrigued me was that it contained facts that I believed were common knowledge whereby I never wrote anything. I assumed everybody knew the following: Nanotubes came along around the same time as the popular Internet. They are produced in tiny lengths and the individual who invents a continuous incubator will be the first trillionaire. Instantaneously. The market for this stuff is staggeringly unthinkable as it will revolutionize everything “including the way we live, think and fight wars”. It is the next great American invention, but beware of the old saying “Imitation is the slimiest form of competition”. Actually, that isn’t an old saying. I made it up.
           At present only tiny lengths of the tubes can be grown. Resembling a grey powder, it is blended with other ingredients to produce specialty items like tent poles. Most research is funded by the military for among other things, the lightweight nanotubes have very little electrical resistance. The fuselage of the entire tank or airplane could become wiring which automatically re-routes itself around any damage. As soon as the threads can be made longer than microscopic, the industry will burgeon. Jobwise, it won’t pay any more than ordinary textile work. Nanocomp is no nincompoop.
           The same article gave me today’s trivia. Bulletproof vests are currently made of Kevlar. DuPont manufactures, get this, 50,000 tons of it per year. That’s tons, including armor plates. Their facilities will become obsolete the moment nanotubes arrive. And there is every chance the breakthrough will be a backyard experimenter, as the nano-growing process is completely software controlled. I have a basic understanding of sub-atomic structures.
           Lastly, something I can’t go into (blog rules) but a known band from near Boyton Beach has been inviting me to rehearse. That is 57 miles one way, on the other hand. I’ve hinted my decision was cost-driven (for $1,000 a week I’d play in Canada). They have responded that one member commutes from Sebring (around 95 miles). I emailed them saying “not to rule anything out” at this point. In the end, I decided no.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++