Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14, 2009

           Here’s Borders. I’ve mentioned their recent reorganization, paralleling the library. Both stock their shelves according to weird marketing formulas. The library follows what people (people who evidently don’t use the reference section) say they would like to read, the operative words being “say” and “would like”.
           Borders' equation is a mite vaguer, but I deduce they follow what people are buying, for it definitely is not tuned to what they are reading. Ah, you say, that’s because they are booksellers. True, but it does not follow if people buy ten cookbooks, they will buy twenty if the cookbook display is made twice as large. That’s the brand of dismal college-think since 1990 that sunk the USS American Way.
           Not totally interesting, but interestingly enough, a friend of mine had something go wrong back home. While he personally wasn’t responsible, he used a phrase I wish I had invented, which I will now definitely adopt. Whenever somebody comes up with that worn-out phrase about if you’ve done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about, my friend said to me, “Yeah, but it becomes one more thing you have to explain.”
           I will also guarantee you anybody who says you should have nothing to hide is themselves very guilty of something. If you dig, you will always find an evil skeleton in their closet. They want everybody on file, hoping it will save them by comparison when their pasts catch up with them. They are always guilty of something, so it sometimes jolts me when a person I know or trust talks like that. There is one other extreme: those who really have done nothing with their lives. They alone have no worries, and correspondingly, no hopes.
           Having said that, I am 21,000 calories down on my diet, so I’m going to Burger King for a shake. Have not had one in probably five years. (The 21,000 is a combination of lowered intake and increased bicycle exercise.) It turns out later they were out of shakes. What’s next? MacDonald’s runs out of fries?
           Remind me to call Lance and get one of those rubber bricks for a display at the shop. While the wisdom of a new home improvement product in this economy is questionable, this is something totally new. A rubber driveway. Or patio. The rubber is very hard, although I report is has a better feel to it than concrete, as you expected. I also googled quite a number of places offering the same bricks for sale, $30 to cover 12 square feet. Lance did not mention any competition.
           A new customer walked in today, I instantly saw he was west coast. Turns out he is an actor, recently in town, and appalled by the dominance of Cuban film companies who only hire Spanish speakers despite being federally funded. We chatted for an hour and he meets script writers who need help and promised to call the next time it happens. I can transcribe anything into perfect street English. This blog is an example. You don’t think I talk like this, do you? Some people should just try to read my more technical material. To those who slept through even one grade six literature class, I can be a shot in the arm. Or the brain. This blog I would describe as written “recreationally”.
           I also met Reed, the guitar instructor who might be interested in working on country music. He’s never performed live meaning there is no damage needs undoing. He certainly knows that it is work, I’m also hoping he will see how easy I’ve tried to make things. He does not even have to memorize lyrics. Normally two strong personalities clash on stage. On this occasion I detect synergy rather than conflict.
           What’s this? USB 3, claimed to be ten times faster than USB 2. Of course, it still isn’t universal and plugging it into the right speed of jack remains guesswork. That’s your trivia today. Wait, there’s a little more. Did you know that insecticide collars are not effective on cats that roam outside? How nice of the manufacturers to make that clear on the label. I’ve probably wasted $30 on the Tat. So I came home and sprayed the cat down. She is no longer speaking to me.
           The wine I received as a tip y’day retails for $65, or twice that in restaurants. The plan is to give it to Kim for Xmas. I got lots of advice on the wine, but the fact is people who claim they are connoisseurs don’t fool me. Especially the real peasant-minded ones who get a job and a credit card later in life who think they can fake being classy. I volunteered for years with the wine festival and get a laugh out of those who try to disguise their working class origins by pretending to have developed “taste” while still talking and acting as slovenly as their upbringing. The “art collectors” and “opera listeners” who wouldn’t know quality if it came along and bit them in the ass.