Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30, 2010


           Just what it looks like, it is a camper on a shopping cart. It’s from an article in Make, one of my favorite magazines for new things. No, it is not a functional camper, rather a display novelty only. But that is not to say this photo hasn’t given the Panera crowd a few ideas. Because the Grecian Formula crowd has taken over that coffee shop I don’t dare publish the other picture showing a camper on the bicycle.
           Half a wasted day. The Comcast people were supposed to show up and make our older system compatible. I scheduled myself to be there, how I wanted to see that event. Nope, by closing time they had not even phoned to cancel. That explains the delay to anyone who noticed this blog has not been updated in nearly a week.
           As mentioned y’day, a customer came in at a loss for computer knowledge and was most appreciative that I obviously stopped what I was into and helped him out for a half-hour with knowledge. That’s the customer that turned out to be a lawyer, and it seems I’ve sparked his curiosity about the patent. He drew the identical conclusions as I, and has said now he will pursue it on my behalf. For exactitutude, he’ll get the knowledge, not the patent. At least he listened long enough to let me explain I already have a buyer.

           You’ll find history is full of patents whose time had not arrived. An idea is no good until it can be sold. That fact brings up a point about those persons who take so much consolation in the fact that some of the top inventors of the last century have had less than a college education. “If they’d gone to university they would have learned it could not be done.” We all know Edison and Ford and Gates never finished school.

           [Author’s note: The success formula only applies to those few and singular exceptions who clearly had other rare qualities that compensated for lack of schooling. Their lives have nothing in common with the working masses. The uneducated goofs in this world are nothing but a pack of useless know-it-all pricks that deserve little better than a good swift kick in the head three times a day.]

           Tell you what, though, I’ll hand them another example. Did you know the car radio was patented in 1930 by a man named Lear with only grade eight? He did not really invent it, as Australian cars had radios some 15 years earlier—but with the interesting safety feature that they only worked when the engine was shut off. And yes, that is the same Lear who went on to build private business jets.
           Bingo was again a paying proposition, it is almost an institution albeit one that shows the same “rent week” slowdown as the music. The show is evolving continually and I’m first to admit calling does not require a costly PA system. It is not unthinkable that bingo could, soon enough, help purchase the Fishman. While that PA is also high-priced, it is portable in the extreme. Despite the money tonight, I was tuckered and did not drop by to see the festival downtown.

           Now, the real trivia. Each adult human being has to breathe in around 88 pounds of oxygen every day. Some days I feel like I’m doing my quota first thing in the morning.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++