Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1, 2010

           Blazes! Not another tropical downpour. It has been steady since this morning at around 6:46 PM. Not the intense wind and water of the record storm just past, but a heavy rain this town is unaccustomed to. You may know I regard weather as neither good nor bad, but this is not a day to ride your bicycle, or Fred’s fancy Harley (shown here). For any newbies, the typical Florida rain is twenty minutes; this storm has been coming down for six hours so far.
           Par usual, while some people are likely worried and “waiting out”, I’ve found other things to do with the rainy time. This includes seeking a tablature for “Can’t You See” only to discover there is no way to play that bass to sound like the original. It has many Eagles-style lead riffs on a six-string guitar set on full bass (or possibly octaved) that commingle with the bass line. Since I have yet to see a band with two bass players, I conclude it is studio overdubs.
           To play that song recognizably on stage, I’ll need to completely customize a bass line. Fortunately, that is what I do. As a model, I’m looking at another piece of studio engineering from the early days, titled “Loving Her Was Easier Than Anything I’ve Ever Done Before”, or something equally brief. No matter how the Hippie words things, he has voluntarily meshed into country material. In for a penny, in for a pound.
           Another thing I do is make certain pop songs sound country, though it will be a blue moon before he asks my advice in that sector. However, if he ever did, I would suggest “I Believe in Miracles” (Hot Chocolate) and “Have You Ever Seen The Rain” (Creedance Clearwater Revival). And I am no slouch when it comes to matching tunes, talents and timbres. Oh, and throw in “I Saw Her Standing There” (The Beatles).
           It’s a slow news day, so let me recap a few earlier facts from days gone by. First of all, I peaked bass-wise at around 33, that is, I used to play better before than now. Anyone who thinks I’m “improving” is probably just starting to listen for a change. I shouldn’t tell you about this but I had one band that was full of musicians, each one of whom thought they were right. That following Friday (August 24, 1990) when they walked in I had set out separate tip jars. By the end of the first set, they were getting nervous, by the end of the night, they decided I was right after all.
           Now, I have a question for you. Would you pay half of a bill you’ve never seen? I would not. It doesn’t make sense to pay half of something when the amount is unknown. Believe it or not, I’ve got some people thinking I should do just that. People who themselves would do no such thing are actually criticizing me for not paying until I see the bill. Like this is somehow my fault, when in fact I have always paid my share of everything and these people know it. Ah, life among the downtrodden and ill-done-by.
           Which puts me in a mood to elaborate on what I said last Saturday about stupid people being useless pricks. I am told that is “a little harsh”, but I suspect my words have been misconstrued. It is not being uneducated that makes a prick, I shall explain. There is no excuse for not being educated in this day and age, or even since 1950 for that matter. No excuse whatsoever. That means anyone who is uneducated is useless, but they already know that every time they try anything new or apply for a job. I’m not saying “useless” as a metaphor, I mean it in the deepest true sense of the word.
           With equal gravity, allow me to explain the other part, about being a prick. Stay with me here for there is thick fog around this subject. One can realize they will never amount to anything, they can understand that no matter how hard they study, they will never amass more than a tiny clue about the world, they can grasp that they will never be a champion or expert on any matter. That is fine. But it is when they conclude that they therefore have a right to stop studying, that is the moment they become a prick.