Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 4, 2010

           Just when you've seen it all, there's Make Magazine. This is a real Etch-A-Sketch with a couple of Arduino-controlled motors attached to the turn wheels. Every minute, it redraws the time. Then it dutifully turns itself over to clear the screen and starts over.
           First of all, I have to give the Hippie an apology. Years ago we differed on the presence of a Bb in “Folsom Prison Blues”. While putting some finishing touches on my version, I noted I had lowered the pitch by a familiar (to me) 5.613%. So I questioned, why would Johnny Cash keep playing in F, one of the most difficult chords for a guitarist? So I answered myself, what if, in all those old recordings, JC had his guitar tuned wrongly?
           Suddenly it makes sense. It would be just like Cash to have his guitar tuned to F when he was fretting an E. Of course, that’s it. Johnny Cash never used a tuner and made the band tune to his guitar. The Hippie meant the Bb note in E, while I meant the Bb chord in F. (Before I acquired the technology to change MP3 keys, I originally played Folsom in F.) This revelation suddenly explains other facets of Cash’s music to me.
           Nobody knows more than an author that very few ideas are really new, so allow me a moment to search if I’ve even mentioned the Johnny Cash key thing before. Nope, doesn’t look like it. But I checked anyway, since it is pretty darn hard not to repeat things in a work of any size.
           While I’m handing out compliments, Cowboy Mike called to say he is setting up an eBay booth to sell his pipes. This shows a growing sophistication on his part, as I would never suggest eBay due to their association with the sordid PayPal. (Sordid because they captured the market by falsely claiming their “cash” transactions would be anonymous.) Mike reminded me that there is no gig this Friday but the next. Odd, since I have not yet been asked to perform.
           Which brings the topic back to money. First of all, I have not yet received any insurance money, I have only a settlement. The two firm things I do not have are a date and an amount. However, others whose situation parallels mine have been successful, but not as successful as they hoped. It turns out there are intermediate solutions, something not one person involved over the past six years bothered to mention, and a factor that puts the fear in me.
           Meanwhile, I’ll give you something to work with. When my insurance claim began, I knew that my household budget was going to be $470 per month for several years, during which I would slowly drain my savings. These are hard facts, no getting around. The only “spending” money I’ve had since 2006 is the chancy and unpredictable tip jar, a source it would be insane to hypothecate. When tips are good, I usually mention it, but tips will never be a substitute for income.
           Nonetheless, I was doing fine on my own and did not need to go into partners with anyone. The theory that I needed help is pure nonsense. I was doing a lot better than I am today.
           So with your help, I’d like to do the budget. With $470, I have $200 for rent, $62 for gas, $85 for utilities, $40 for the cell phone. Gee, that leaves just $83 per month for all other eventualities. Like laundry, bus fare, paper towels, and cat food. There can be no doubt why I wanted a place to share the rent. Figure out for yourself what happens when I have to pay the full rent and utilities on my own. I might as well have got my own place and toughed it out. However, if you can do a better budget, we’ll go with your version.
           I have a rental agreement with Wallace. Not with Wallace and his family. I asked him on January 1 about his plans; he would not say if he was staying or leaving, and said nothing about visitors. He put me in a dilemma. This year I cannot possibly pay the rent myself. There are no savings left to dip into. There is no “ensuite”, this is a two-bedroom dwelling and I was forced to rent out my own bedroom because we can’t rent out Wallace’s. I don’t give a damn about anybody’s comfort and privacy issues until I see the rent money.
           Meanwhile I’m living in a Florida room. Some people don’t appreciate anything. Thank goodness I have my adoring public.